Gas Odor inside Truck after fueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After the last three fill-ups, I have the smell of gasoline inside the Truck as well as outside back by the fuel door. This smell continues until after I burn off 2 or 3 gallons. If I fill up close to home and park the truck, the gas odor remains days later until I have used that 2 to 3 gallons.

There is no fuel leaking out on the driveway. I don't see any wet spots on the outside of the tank filling tube for the parts I can get a good look at. Is there a spray I can use that would change color as a sort of leak finder? Is this a known problem on 2003 EBs or trucks this old?

Thanks. No codes have been thrown and the truck passed its emissions test which includes a vapor check on the gas tank.

Dwilds

Reaction score
I have the same issue you describe. Took a week for my local mechanic to track it down to a pinhole on the top of the plastic fuel tank. We searched for a replacement and it seems there is no replacement available factory or aftermarket. Haven't figured out a way to plug the hole that won't dissolve or fall off.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fill up your tank to the brim and park it on a slightly elevated path. You will see where fuel is leaking. Use a flashlight and mirror to peek on tight areas and avoid sources of ignition.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire