Gas smell, puzzled...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2004 5.4 EB Expy. A few months ago i started smelling gas right around the rear wheel well. I have no check engine lights on. I replaced the gas cap.

It smells of gas fumes weather the tank is full or almost empty. It seems to strongest after I come back from a ride. It is right around the rear tire by the fill cap. NO leaks at all anywhere.

My mechanic took a fast look and said he did not see anything.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Plati

Reaction score
All I can do is tell you that on "Rusty" my 2003 Rustbucket, I regularly spray oil on the gas fill tube ... here's a picture that shows the rust. Is yours rusted like that? I think mine is close to having holes in it. Also I never understood the extra tube, where it goes what it does etc. Maybe somebody can splain that. Another point of failure? You do want to find out where gas is escaping. It only gets worse not better!
IMG_1729.JPG

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2004 is rusted pretty badly on the underside for sure. I don't see any dripping as of yet though. I will have to get under myself. Thanks for the picture. Not sure either about that 2nd tube.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Under the hood, check the condition of the purge vacuum supply hose. If it hasn't been replaced already, they get soft and develop leaks. If it's leaking and not supplying a solid vacuum to the purge system the fumes will vent out from the canister's relief vent line (you can see the open end of it next to the fill tube from under the truck ...). Other than that it can be a bad control solenoid (the solenoid the supply line attaches to under the hood...). These are just my suggestions to look at, since you say you don't see any obvious leaks in the tank area.

Fuel vapor purge vacuum line ....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042HHE4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuel vapor purge control solenoid ....
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-CX1597-Vapor-Canister-Solenoid/dp/B000C5BLZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1541522086&vehicle=2004-54-662-646--9-6--3517-2111--1-851-91-7-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2004:ford:expedition

If you need a new fuel filler neck get one, don't risk a fire ....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...1427756,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank+filler+neck,6272

You should see this open ended relief vent line tied up to the fuel filler hose from under the truck....

jG41kK.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great info man, thanks a bunch!!

Dwilds

Reaction score
I have this same issue on my 2003 Expedition XLT and when I had a mechanic check into it they found a small leak at the top of the plastic gas tank near the fill. They looked into a replacement tank and found that Ford no longer makes a replacement and no aftermarket tanks were available. So I’ve just been dealing with it with occasional P0442 Evap leak codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, not great news. I have not had any error codes at all.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my mechanic took a real good look and sadly the fill tube assembly is rotted. Replacement parts (entire assembly) coming from Ford. With Labor $475. Have to do it. So much rust under my truck. 90K miles. Already replaced radiator support, both rockers. Getting sick of putting money into it. Rest of the truck is showroom. Not sure what I would get for a trade in or selling it at this point.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this same issue on my 2003 Expedition XLT and when I had a mechanic check into it they found a small leak at the top of the plastic gas tank near the fill. They looked into a replacement tank and found that Ford no longer makes a replacement and no aftermarket tanks were available. So I’ve just been dealing with it with occasional P0442 Evap leak codes.

If you do in fact have a small leak at the top of the tank, you can seal it with some Permatex Plastic Tank repair. That stuff's pretty good. Do you actually see evidence of a leak? Like a wet trail on the tank, or drops of gas on the ground after a fill up ?

https://www.permatex.com/products/s...diator-tank-repair/permatex-fuel-tank-repair/

Last edited: