Gear temp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fartoot321

Reaction score
What is the normal temperature for expy 2016 gearbox
It is 95 f at morning
After 1 or two hours it rises up to 197 f
If there ara hills it goes to more than 210 f

My car milage is about 37k miles

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. 210F seems a bit high, but you are in the middle east. Are you towing any thing?

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are you measuring the temp? When I tried to monitor trans temps using the Torque app the coolant and the transmission always read exactly the same temperature. Once I started using Forscan Lite I was able to see the transmission fluid was not the same exact temperature as the coolant!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is a “normal” range for the transmission temperature?

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 with the factory HD tow package. I do not tow.

The vehicle owner’s manual does not provide information on what is the acceptable range of temperature.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is a “normal” range for the transmission temperature?

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 with the factory HD tow package. I do not tow.

The vehicle owner’s manual does not provide information on what is the acceptable range of temperature.
There really isn't a minimum temp for tranny fluid, as long as it can flow. The high temp end gets a bit more complex. Normally (whatever that is defined as), tranny fluid operating temp would be 170F - <220F.

The variables that contribute to fluid temp are numerous, but mostly ambient air temp and load.

Once you get into that 220-225F band, then you need to consider that the fluid will degrade much faster, and that the higher the temp, the faster it will degrade (often referred to as 'burning it'). If you ever see your tranny temp above 230-240F, do yourself a favor and change the fluid soon.

Here's a chart that sorta shows that (be wary....the mileage scale is not linear):

http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.jpg