Getting tired now....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
im going to say the coolant temp sensor for the ecm

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
the fuel pump is a motor with windings ether it works or it doesnt

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it makes sense. My idea is that when weather is cold, or not neccesarily then, but when engine is cold somehow gasoline takes some time to flow correctly on the fuel system...also, since I am in Baja (on the Mexican side) you could believe bad gas quality has also impacted on performance... Truck was imported into Mexico almost 2 years ago, so before then it only had American gasoline. But I add one of these fuel cleaner liquids often...but til now haven't done a injector cleaning....Dunno...some added input to this.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dang! I just noticed I placed this thread on the 2nd Gen area, My truck is 2002, and not 2003. Hope all your advice applies to my truck as well.

OP
OP
ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you changed the plugs did you change the Coils ?

No...Mechanic putting the plugs said all coils looked fine and in good working order; he said if there weren't they wouldn't work and truck will immediately show signs...

KC Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel pump to me also. Contrary to above I dissagree, a fuel pump is not just good or bad. The pickup screen can come loose, the pressure dump valve can be bad (Depending on the vehicle type), it can run poorly, etc.. Its all related to pressure. If the pressure is wrong, the injectors cant fire right, you get the wrong mixture, and it runs like crap. Next time you start it, cycle the key to on several times before you crank it. See if it runs longer. Other thoughts are fuel injectors, but they probably wouldnt work fine and would be bad all the time, or perhaps the fuel pressure regulator. Just some thoughts to consider. Good Luck!

02expi

Reaction score
Seems to me if it was the fuel pump it would run worse after it warmed up as the pump would be getting warmer as it is being used.Usually the pump is good if the car starts and drives. Seems like the temp sensor might be a good place to start and certainly will be cheaper than a pump, and easier to change. just my 2 cents worth.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems to me if it was the fuel pump it would run worse after it warmed up as the pump would be getting warmer as it is being used.Usually the pump is good if the car starts and drives. Seems like the temp sensor might be a good place to start and certainly will be cheaper than a pump, and easier to change. just my 2 cents worth.
my thoughs exactly how can a fuel pump run bad then fix it's self. im still thinking its the temp sensor.