got the transmission replaced, still got the stutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raygunclan

Reaction score
back in october, my 2007 expedition limited, that currently has about 150k on it, started getting the stutter, usually at about 40 mph. i added the sea foam as recommended by my dad (God love him!) to no avail. i took it to my local guy who i would trust with my dogs. he replaced the fuel filter. didn't fix it. then he fixed the mass air flow that was showing up on the diagnostics. still got the shimmy. i went online and it seemed to be the majority had issues with either the coils or the boots. but my guy wanted me to take it to a transmission guy, which he wasn't. i told the tranny guy what i had read online but his diagnostics made him think it was the transmission. so we replaced it. i am sad to say that almost $4800 later, i still have the same issue. luckily, it only does it at 40, but still.

does anyone have any thoughts on this? i am pretty upset that i have a new transmission and the problem still isn't fixed. thanks for any recommendations.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When was the last time that the spark plugs and coil packs were changed?

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i went online and it seemed to be the majority had issues with either the coils or the boots. but my guy wanted me to take it to a transmission guy, which he wasn't. i told the tranny guy what i had read online but his diagnostics made him think it was the transmission. so we replaced it. i am sad to say that almost $4800 later, i still have the same issue. luckily, it only does it at 40, but still.

Dude, you spent $4800 on a tranny before spending as little as a hundred bucks on a coil ??? No offense but if you bring it to a tranny shop he's not gonna tell you it's not the tranny. Sorry but I think you got screwed.

My money would be on the coils and then the plugs.

Matt

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, the stutter wouldn't come from the transmission wearing, more like if you did something to it. Def sounds like coils or plugs. A full set of coils is like $400 and its like $32 for new plugs.

OP
OP
R

raygunclan

Reaction score
i took it back to the shop. the guy is more of a performance mechanic and does a lot of restoring old vehicles. he had an old t-bird and a MINT mach 1 mustang in the garage when i showed up today. he was referred by a friend and honestly, he really seems like a good guy.

anyways, he replaced the 4 and 7 coils. i had had the spark plugs replaced about a year and half ago. what a clusterf*** that was. anyways, the truck drives great now.

RI-Matt, you are probably right about me spending $4800 more than i needed to. although, he did remind me that he told me i probably had more than one problem from the beginning. and the jumping of the engine DID stop at the lower speeds after we replaced the tranny. but, yeah. i totally feel like i probably got screwed. :idiot:

thanks for the help!

B

bedrck46

"i totally feel like i probably got screwed."

sure sounds like it

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's car seem to have a stutter at one point and it was hard to determine if it was misfiring or stuttering, so I changed the plugs and all was well. The gaps were almost double what they were supposed to be. Luckily it was a Durango so it wasn't that hard to do.

That's why it's also good to know how to work on your own vehicle. Even just for diagnostic purposes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

raygunclan

Reaction score
i'm not sure what a torque converter is. it is a ford remanufactured transmission, though. would it come with that?
also, we are back to square one. it ran great for about a day and now is back to stuttering/ misfiring. it is mostly at 40 as that is the speed that i mostly find myself at. but we drove to cocoa beach the morning and i noticed that it would misfire at acceleration between 78 and 83ish. so i could drive 75 or 85.
i'm kind of wishing we had sold it before getting the transmission replaced. we are right at about $5k for this issue alone. and it STILL isn't fixed.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For that much money they better have replaced it. Either way it doesn't really matter because it sounds like the transmission wasn't bad.

I would find a new mechanic too.