hard start loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carl kline

Reaction score
I have a 2007 ford expedition xlt 5.4 and if it is warm I have to turn the key 3 times then it will start up otherwise it just cranks. I am also getting a loss of power if I accelerate to fast or am towing a small trailer and want to accelerate. The only light I have on is gas cap but that just came on. The loss of power is like what is described when to much fuel is going through and co2 cuts it back.

Tuck

Reaction score
Having to cycle the key multiple times to get it to start sounds like fuel pressure issue.
I was thinking fuel pump also. Maybe injectors. From the symptoms it sounds like you're engine is starving for gas under load but I'm sure there are some qualified techs who can diagnose better than me.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm also on Team Fuel Pump. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see where it's at.

I recently dealt with the same issue on a Tacoma. Hard start/no start, lack of power, etc. Fuel pump was putting out 25psi when it should have been 40psi. New pump fixed things right up.

OP
OP
C

Carl kline

Reaction score
when i put a pressure gauge on it i was getting 65 psi and holds at about 35 when off

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You also have a pump driver module. May be the problem. Mileage? May also be pump time.