Headers-sorry if this has been talked about

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I found a couple of broken heads on my exhaust manifolds while I had this up on the hoist.....I have seen so much controversy on headers...I know long tube are the way to go...I think someone has even mentioned these before but I just got a reply from Pacesetter, They have long tubes for Gen-1 with the front 0-2 bungs and said the rears would have to be tuned out. They also sell a "off road" y-pipe which bolts up to the headers which eliminates cats. I just wrote them back to ask price on the Y-pipe and diameter....This sound like the way to go with 3" pipe from the Y to the muffler and 3" out the back. Simple and clean...I want to do many things and money always dictates, but while I have a shop, hoist and unlimited tools, I think I may tackle these manifolds and just be done forever....I mean its just a matter of time before it gets louder and more bolts snap off....I will send a pic and price of the Y once I get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200669457125#ht_2244wt_698

Blueoval76

Reaction score
If you have a shop and the tools to do it I would say go for it. I was looking at that setup myself but cant justify the $500+ for the headers and Y pipe. I am going shorties just because I need my manifolds replaced and I am not really needing to remove cats and all that stuff since I still have emissions here. I am gonna just get the Summit shorties and put duals off the rear Y with no muffler and I am done.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
What is the part # of the headers they say fit? They dont list any long tubes on their website. Just shorties? I am fairly sure pacesetter are one of the manufactures I called several months back to confirm as some sellers list some to fit but not pacesetter themself?! If they are available I would like to know. :)

You might ask bolton why he had to modify his headers. What was due to the new tranny and what was necessary just because they were mounted in the expy.

http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=13262

I really want to know if there are longtubes that will bolt in without modification. (cutting, rewelding, etc..)

Believe me....I searched before I did my motor swap as I prefered longtubes but no one would confirm longtubes would fit the expy!?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
News from Pacesetter

Tom and the forum...below is an e-mail I recieved today from Pacesetter....

Dear bakeredition,

Hello,
The price of the y-pipe is $129.97. It is a 3" off-road (no provisions for cats)y-pipe. This pipe is compatible only with the long tube headers, part #70-2227. We do not carry a y-pipe that will connect to your stock manifolds. Thanks for your interest. If you need more info. let me know.

Best,
MG

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Additional head info..

Text below is another e-mail form Pacesetter:

Dear bakeredition,

Hello,
The headers/y-pipe combination is $417.47 plus $20.00 shipping, total = $437.47. If you copy the following link in to your browser it will take you the ebay listing for this header and y-pipe combination.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200669457125#ht_2244wt_698

Thanks again for your interest. If you need more info. let me know.

MG

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought Expy's and F150 headers where different??? I'd get a set if they fit, someone should try them!!!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Those are the same headers Bolt-on used and had to modify in his post. (link is above) He is the only one I have found that has installed long tubes on their expy. I pm'd him about why he had to modify. I am questioning what is due to the tranny swap and what may be due just to the differences between and expy and f150. Yes the f150 and expy share many parts including the motor, tranny, etc... but the body, frame and suspension is different as far as I am aware.

I called pacesetter yesterday and they said they dont list the longtubes for the expy because they cannot confirm they will fit. It interesting that they gave you a link to a 3rd party (seller). The seller would have to accept responsibility if they do not fit in this case as pacesetter does not list longtubes for the expy.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I thought Expy's and F150 headers where different??? I'd get a set if they fit, someone should try them!!!

I agree! lol.. I just don't want to be the guinea pig. It would really suck if you remove your exhaust manifolds, cats...etc. just to find they do not fit. Then what??

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Guys, I just went back and read Bolt-ons posts and I was scratching my head wondering why his front sway bar was near the transmission and then discovered he DONT have a Gen-1 like I do...the part numbers Pacesetter gave me were for Gen-1....I think Bolt-on has a Gen-2 or 3.....anyways I asked Pacesetter to quote me on the complete system..However, I may just do the headers first and then the Y-pipe...and then the rest...all comes down to $$$ Guess I may be the Gienah Pig....