Heater core replacement 2003 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch

Reaction score
This is just for those people who tried to figure out how to do this on a second generation and don't find the info the want.

- You can replace it without disconnecting the AC. (it's not easy but possilbe)
- You will have to remove the dashboard.
- The video's for F-150 and first generations you find online do not work on the 03
- The plenum chamber has changed and now has to be disconnected in order to pull the core out.

- Remove seats
- Remove center console.
- pull back carpet to reveal "rear duct"
- Remove rear duct (this has to come out if you don't want to disconnect the AC. You need to wiggle room)
- Remove both airbags
- Tape the clockspring in place before pulling the wheel (you'll thank me later)
- the bolts on the grab handles are held in by a 5.5mm bolt. Regular socket works.
- Remove the computer and the bolts for the plenum chamber from under the hood
- Leave the coolant lines connected for now unless you have the tool and know how to disconnect them)
- Remove dashboard and steering wheel column as per manual (you cannot drop the steering column on this dash).
- Cut the heater lines from the core (interior) and feed the lines back into the bay.
- Remove the heater core
- Gently remove the clips from the cut lines as not to break them ( the white inserts can be ordered from the dealer at 50,= a piece ouch)
- disconnect the remaining bolts from the plenum chamber and gently pull back to create as much room between the chamber and the firewall.
- Cut the insulation and rubber so you can pull it back and around the new core (you get about an inch of extra room this way.
- Gently insert the new core in to the chamber and wiggle the pipes though the hole (I gently bent the pipes back to create more room and than bent them into their original shape once the core and chamber were back in place.
Reinstall everything.

If you got all the tools and parts, it can be done in about 6 hours (being there were 2 of us and we are not experienced mechanics at all).

Get the manual. It really is needed for this job.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good write up ! Are you the original owner ? What's the mileage, and has the coolant system always had Ford Gold coolant in it ?

-Mike

OP
OP
D

Dutch

Reaction score
Good write up ! Are you the original owner ? What's the mileage, and has the coolant system always had Ford Gold coolant in it ?

-Mike
Bought it from the second owner (and are still in contact with them) they got it from a local rental place.
it's about 180k.
And no idea what type of coolant is in there now. It has been diluted after the intake manifold leak and I was about to flush and change it when the core went out. I'll get something in there before winter.

Plati

Reaction score
I appreciate the post but I sure cringe when I see this. My 2003 Rustbucket has 180K miles on it. This might be my next adventure.

OP
OP
D

Dutch

Reaction score
It's not a fun job, but it is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Plan, prepare and make sure you got the tools. You'll need a metric set and the 5.5mm (that is not a standard socket). steering wheel puller with hooks, and extensions, I have a 2 foot one that helps with the bolts in the engine bay. Also need wobble's (or what ever they are called) to make things easier on your back and hands.
I also waited the whole summer because of the heat.
And I forgot to mention, Ford cannot order the o-rings they tell you to replace. But mine were fine so they went back in.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 7/32 socket is just slightly bigger and is probably easier to find. Heater cores on any luxury vehicle is never an easy one. But allow plenty of time, label and bag bolts/nuts/screws on disassemble, and of course have the Ford repair CD or books, not the Haynes/Clymers ones, and you'll be pleased. One last note, if possible get a Ford or top quality core. You don't want to do this job twice.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk