Hello...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EvilTwinTLR

Reaction score
Oh thanks for the link,that helps a lot. Is there a walkthrough on replacing the GEM?

And do ya'll think that would fix my headlights always on problem?

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had flashing OD I thought it was my trans but the trans was shifting fine. It turned out to be my cats were clogged. Stuffed with carbon. Looked like concrete. We cut the rear 2 off to clean them and I decided to leave them off. Welded in some pipe and that instantly fixed my truck. It runs like a Mustang now. Just my .02

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Oh thanks for the link,that helps a lot. Is there a walkthrough on replacing the GEM?

And do ya'll think that would fix my headlights always on problem?

I'm guessing there's not?

Sorry... It was a long process of disassembling the lower dash area. I just had at it and really did not take notes nor remember exactly would I did to get it out. Just remember it was a PITA. Not sure if anyone else has posted a walkthrough for it.

I would say yes there is a good chance your headlight issue would be fixed via gem / fuse block replacement... or just try drying them out completely. If water got in the gem module it will be in the fuse block as well. The fuse block is a series of buss bars and thin insulator tightly sandwiched together.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I had flashing OD I thought it was my trans but the trans was shifting fine. It turned out to be my cats were clogged. Stuffed with carbon. Looked like concrete. We cut the rear 2 off to clean them and I decided to leave them off. Welded in some pipe and that instantly fixed my truck. It runs like a Mustang now. Just my .02

Thats interesting. Maybe the pcm had recognized it could not shift into overdrive without large loss of power and incorrectly identified the tranny as the issue!?:shrug:

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats interesting. Maybe the pcm had recognized it could not shift into overdrive without large loss of power and incorrectly identified the tranny as the issue!?:shrug:

Before we cut the cats. I took it to a trans shop who had done other trans work for me and me and the owner drove around and he had his "super" scan machine on it. I was prepared to rebuild. He was honest. He said its shifting fine. It had some engine codes and he wanted me to clear everything before we just up and rebuild the trans. He kept saying there is something else wrong causing it not to go into overdrive and ride rough. I was working hard on it and was replacing everything. Finally after there was nothing else to bolt on. I took it to the exhaust shop with an old school mechanic. He said you need to clean those cats out. I figured what the hey we tried everything else. So they cut them off. And low and behold. There was hard carbon all in them. They were horrible. I couldnt believe it really. it looked like concrete in there. They cleaned them out and was going to put them back up I said NOPE put some pipe in. Been humming and gunning ever since. it was night and day. No more blinking OD light no more stumbling. No nothing. It was faster had excellent torque felt very strong and still does. So yes I believe it was aggravating the PCM to the point the computer was putting the truck in "limp" mode. Which is what the blinking OD light means as well. Its not just indicating a trans problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt