Help, california is insane, mpg mods needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i havent register yet
Sorry if I offended you. By the way, you’re the one who initially posted that you couldn’t vote…I was merely attempting to delve into all of your issues with my response. And your subject line for this topic seemed to indicate that you were frustrated with the elected leadership at your local and state level. So, if you vote the kooks (read, democrats) in your state out of office, it may ultimately solve your gas price dilemma.

Bottom line, glad to hear that you’re not a felon.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries buddy. Sorry your situation is not working out. Hope it eventually gets better for you – I mean that.

Steve (SF native, now living in God’s country – gas is “only” $3.25 for 92 octane.)

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Weed is legal in Californica isn't it?
Just get some weed and go surfing.
Hitchhike to the beach. Live on the beach.
Don't Worry Be Happy!
Turn on Tune In Drop out.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I feel your pain. But pain builds character and builds wealth. I was driving a Chrysler 413 with 2 four barrel carbs back in the days of the first gas crisis. Gas hit a buck a gallon and minimum wage was $1.85/hour. Damn, that thing got six miles a gallon with a tailwind. I drove it like a moron so I got four. We'd cruise around Brooklyn and fill up the tank twice on a Saturday night.

It sucked not having any money for books - text books cost a lot then too. So did ball joints and girls.

So I got a second job and a better job and made more money.

Hate to break it to you, but short of putting 40 lbs in the tires, as was mentioned and driving like an old man, you aren't going to save much gas money unless you move onto something smaller.

But I wouldn't stand for such a defeat and I got off my rear and made more money.

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right now i need my 01 xlt (5.4l rwd) to sip gas like fine wine and not chug it like cheap beer, i know i know its a near 5000lb land yacht its not made for good...no reasonable...no sane mpg but here in the wonderful, awesome fantasically amazing state of callifornia gas is damn near 4 buck a gallon. 4!!! (State average 4.03, locally 3.99-4.00). Besides 3rd row, spare tire, tow package, tuner, is there anything i could do for more than 13mpg? I cant trade for a new 50+mpg camry(wouldn't mind it though, thing has 208hp), or swap a 3.5l eb in. Thank you.
Move to the South, gas is $2.39 here

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gas was $4.16 here last I looked... about a month ago, I got some for $2.08 in Texas

What the hell is going on, anyway???

Btw I'm not sure I agree with the general consensus... a storage locker on wheels with enough room to live in for a while is a fairly practical choice for a young guy

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I remember back in 73 when gas went to 64cents here in San Francisco. I was driving the 56 VW bug and the Honda 750 bike. Both got around 30 mpg. The Honda did 120 flat out, the bug around 80. Drove the VW more especially during the winter. Never liked getting wet.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based upon the ultra-liberal, left-wing public policies enacted in California by the elected officials, I have no sympathy for any California residents. The people of California are getting what they voted for.

oh christ, california law is more logical than liberal. yeah woohoo everyone bash on california, but i actually enjoy not having to choke on exhaust smoke all day. i mean really think about it, do you like breathing in smog? ..should you breath in smog? these are things one must consider in congested areas.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to say to leave your mother in law at home and that would save you 300 lbs right there but you're not married so next crazy thing would be unplug a couple of fuel injectors and stumble around town on 4 cylinders! Voila! Instant Camry conversion!

I think the best advice so far was to advertise for a straight across trade on craigslist. Or you could trade for a 250cc motorcycle...