Help Diagnosis with pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zocor

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Ford Expedition just wondering what is getting ready to fall off underneath car adjacent to driver door. Thanks for any helpbf7a5e958c70ea140291ca02880590ec.jpg14b32d96f32427562a5139597c3fcf63.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zocor

zocor

Reaction score
It didn't look like it did anything...thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen that under my '03 and wondered what the heck it was...

So what is it anyway?

bigbri7870

Reaction score
That is a counter balance weight for the exhaust, to keep it from bouncing around.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was just Ford's attempt at a vibration dampener. I don't think they use 'em anymore. Looking for that Ford part number turns up a big zero.

Ford part number : 2L74 5F295 BA

-Mike

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your complete end-to-end exhaust system is OEM or made up of genuine Ford replacement parts, I'd say have it welded back on. If you have an aftermarket replacement muffler, removed the resonator, or any other changes, might as well toss it. They work very well with the original system.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just figured some assembly line guy was smoking crack and glued an oil filter near the exhaust.

wahew1

Reaction score
It adds weight to change the frequency at which the exhaust vibrates to prevent in car drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Too F_Funny ... after reading the recent oil change posts, I decided to head to Valvoline Instant Oil Change for my annual oil/filter change (5W20 conventional) on the 2003 Expy 5.4L. Only 3200 miles on it in the past year (used a ~quart in that time, but I top it off every few months) but never would go more than a year without changing oil. Done this there ever since new in 2003.

The guys doing the work want me to look at something under the Expy, they are baffled ... "we see this part just hanging there and we don't know what it is". So I look at it and I say "that's an auxiliary oil filter, you guys don't know about that?" So then I tell them (quickly because they looked nervous) "thats part of the exhaust system, It adds weight to change the frequency at which the exhaust vibrates to prevent in car drone". Like I said ... too funny!!

So I just ripped that part off, its heavy, has some heft to it. I expect slightly better gas mileage now. This Forum ROCKS, appreciate the information and help.
IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG