Help me decide if I should buy this 2005 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stimpy911

Reaction score
Hi there, I just signed up on the forums today because I am interested in buying a 2005 Expedition XLT. This will replace my 2004 Explorer.

Reason for change: Expecting our fourth child and I do not have 3rd row seating in the Explorer.

Asking price is 7800. 131,000 miles. This vehicle is my primary vehicle for traveling back and forth to work and hauling around the kids when the weather gets bad out. I would estimate about 5,000 to 10,000 miles per year which would be consistent with my Explorer. Our primary vehicle is a 2007 Honda Odyssey.

There are a few items wrong with the vehicle that I hope to use to bargain down the asking price.

Here is a list with some pictures:

1. Will need a new battery. Current battery is from 2008.

2. Back brakes look rusty. They felt good but my mechanic stated sooner than later I will be replacing them.

3. Serpentine belt is dry and needs to be replaced.

4. The area where it tells you if you are in drive or reverse needs to be fixed. Sometimes the arrow will not move from park to drive.

5. There are 2 rust holes under the doors on the rocker panels. I would need to work on that this summer.

Please let me know what you think of the pictures and what you would think a good asking price would be?

Attachments

• Expedition 001.jpg
    Expedition 001.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Expedition 002.jpg
    Expedition 002.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Expedition 004.jpg
    Expedition 004.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Expedition 008.jpg
    Expedition 008.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Expedition 009.jpg
    Expedition 009.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Reaction score
Here are a few more pictures.

Attachments

• Expedition 011.jpg
    Expedition 011.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Expedition 016.jpg
    Expedition 016.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Expedition 022.jpg
    Expedition 022.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Expedition 025.jpg
    Expedition 025.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Expedition 026.jpg
    Expedition 026.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 42

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the sake of discussion, I assumed you were looking at a 4WD vehicle since you live in Michigan. The price is high in comparison to the current NADA value. Clean retail assumes a vehicles with no mechanical problems and only minor body problems. It also assumes you are getting the vehicle from a dealer that has had the vehicle detailed and made road-ready. Considering the rust, which NADA considers to be "considerable damage" and the minor mechanical issues, I would be looking for the seller to knock a couple thousand off that.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rust would scare me. I would have sold you mine had you been looking about a month ago. The only real pressing problem was the ABS light was on. Pretty sure it was an ABS sensor but didn't affect the way it stopped. Everything else was in great condition. I was only asking $5500 and mine was 4WD. I would be offering sub $4000 for that.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just my opinion but with that amount of rust It is way overpriced I would also be concerned about condition of the Fuel Pump Drivers Module which is a problem on the 05 and 06 expeditions due to corrosion. I would also check out the cross member under the radiator for any signs of rust.

I normally do not make suggestions if you should buy or not as that is your decision Yet in this case I would continue to look around for something that would require less work.

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Reaction score
However, if I can get the price lowered considerably it might be worth an investment. I might have another mechanic I know look underneath for those issues you mentioned. I would also just replace the rockers.

I need to keep the price at or near 5 grand. I think I can talk this dealer down considering the issues.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it needs to be like $5K to take it and fix the rust in my opinion...will u fix it or take it somewhere

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Reaction score
I have done some minor work on my explorer rockers. Took off the rust I could and applied a can of paint that is supposed to block rust. Obviously this job is bigger. I would do what I could and get help with the rest maybe.