Hesitation While Accelerating from stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 98 explorer had a bad problem of stalling when turning left. It would only do it when the engine was hot, and only within the first 5 minutes after restarting a hot engine- like after running inside a fast food place or something. It would also do it if you drove at a slow speed of around 35 mph for long period of time, followed by stopping at a traffic light and then turning left.

Apparently Ford went through 7 or more design changes on the fuel pump pick up design because of this issue. If the tank was within 1/4 of being empty was when it acted up the most. We changed the pump and it still did it once in a while, but was much better.

We almost got killed in a head on accident with an 18 wheeler because it stalled 1/2 way across an intersection, and the 18 wheeler was coming down a bridge in the rain. I had figured out that if I power brake before turning left it would give me warning of whether it would stall or not. That was my safety measure, if it stalls so what I was still not rolling into traffic...This time however it let me all the way out into the road before stalling. Somehow I got it in neutral and restarted, and got out of the way just in time. When I looked in the rear view the 18 wheeler had already passed.

OP
OP
F

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine never stalls it just hesitates. I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to fix it for a few days then it started up again maybe I have trash in my tank

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any new updates? Did you change the filter again and see what's in the old one?

Wong to yick

Reaction score
My 2000 4.6 Expedition with 223000 miles started the hesitation thing a higher 89 octane fuel worked for me had always used 87 after one fill up it was gone