Hey everyone!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doonze

Reaction score
Hi ya'all! So I'm the new owner of a 1997 Expedition XLT 5.4L 4WD 3.73LS w/3rd row seating. I got this puppy for a song! I'm a story teller so I apologize up from for the length of my post. First of all let me show you my pretty.

View media item 7108
The Blue Beast is what I call her.

I almost didn't pick her up, the Speedo didn't work for the first 1/2 of the test drive, the OD is stuck at 201108, something seemed up with the transfer case (shuddered sometimes especially after turning, at the time I thought just when it was in A4WD as it stopped after switching to 2WD), and after testing 4H and 4L (that seemed to work) it acted like it didn't unlock the front hubs till I backed up (I don't think that's normal behavior). The upper dash is mostly gone (covered in duct tape), the OD button is gone and the shifter end is covered in duct tape. All the emissions stuff has been removed (and I live in a state that requires inspection) and the cruise didn't work. Also the windshield is very cracked.

After the test drive I was telling the guy I didn't think this one was for me, as what I was willing to pay was way off his asking price. I told him what I was willing to pay, about $1000 off his asking price, and he agreed.... I wasn't expecting that. So now I have it home!

On the 80 mile trip home, stopped to get gas, and it did the shudder a couple of times on turns to get back on the highway in 2WD. So now I knew it wasn't the transfer case, I now suspected the rear end. Goggle confirmed that as likely, I guess these limited slips are pretty famous for clutch shudder. I also discovered it seems the PO has removed the CEL lightbulb. I normally check that straight off when looking at cars, but forget. (By the bulb check when starting). No surprising as all emissions stuff is missing.

The owner knew nothing about the truck. He'd gotten it because a buddy needed money quick, so he bought it just to sell it. A quick google search of 4.6 vs 5.4 had us thinking it was a 4.6. (First result said 5.4 had a plastic intake, wrong!). So I was presently surprised once I got it home and decoded the VIN that it was a 5.4L 4R100 w/3.73LS and max rating for towing. Has a ford factory 7 pin and the tow package. Yea! I bought this for a towing rig, so I'm super happy.

So yesterday was a busy day. I have an appointment to replace the windshield next Wednesday. $219 installed so I'm not super unhappy. I changed the oil to 5W-30 synthetic and changed the oil filter. Changed the air filter. Changed the front diff with 75W-90 synthetic, and the rear with 75W-140 LS synthetic and added a bottle of friction modifier. I'm 99% sure the diff's had never been done. Both by smell and the condition of the drain and fill holes and the factory seal on the rear diff cover. I'm crossing my fingers that helps the shudder (seems to have so far). Today is transmission w/filter and transfer case fluid change, and I'm hoping to get to the plugs.

All I could find synthetic was Mercon LV, I couldn't find V. I went all around town. And while I know it's a hot topic, I wasn't sure on V for my 4R100 anyway. Defiantly didn't want to use LV. So I'm using Valvoline's Mercon non-synthetic. Bought enough for the tranny and transfer case. I don't normally do anything but synthetic, however in this case I'm playing it safe.

So, you've heard the bad. Now the good! Body has two VERY small dents. That's it. Otherwise it's 100% perfect. There is ZERO rust, anywhere. None! Aside from the duct tape dash and shifter, the interior is almost perfect. It's dirty, but the seats are not ripped. All interior and exterior lights work, including the running boards. Key FOB worked once I replaced the batteries. Only lock not working is drivers side rear. Windows work. This thing has never leaked a fluid in it's life. The engine and underside is the cleanest older truck I've ever seen. The only fluids were from me being careless!

My biggest concern is the emissions. I might be able to find someone who's willing to pass it on inspection for a little cash incentive, but in the end I want to fix it all. My biggest problem is that since it's all gone, I have no idea what I'm missing, and what plugs in where. I'm hoping you guys can help me with that!

So that's the story of the Blue Beast so far.