HID kit suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ediddily

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have HID kits. I want to get one someday, anybody have any suggestions on a good brand?
I tried searching for a recent post but I couldnt find any.

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to know also, I got a great kit from ddm tuning for my polaris ranger for a good price, It just took a few weeks to get here cause they are over seas

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
The big thing with HID kits is that they love as much voltage as you can give them. If the voltage starts getting too low, they will not turn on since the ignitor can not excite the gas properly. Why is this a problem with our trucks? Simple, follow where the wiring has to go to get power from the battery/alternator to the headlights. It passes through tons of wiring, a headlight switch, multifunction stalk, etc. Each of these items drops a certain amount of voltage. Now, add in the fact that the wiring is only really designed to handle 10 amps and you are going to be forcing about 30 amps through it momentarily, this large current pulse causes a larger than normal voltage drop.

The solution is to spend a few extra bucks, get a relay kit that powers the HID directly off of the battery using the properly gauged wiring and then the lights are triggered using the plug from one of the headlight plugs.

Something as simple as a slightly higher resistance (something in the 0.1 ohm range) can lead to major issues. A 0.1 ohm resistance in the wiring somewhere can let to a 3 VDC drop. That is more than enough to make the HIDs not come one. So, in short, spend a little bit extra in the wiring department to get trouble free headlights.

OP
OP
E

ediddily

Reaction score
Thank you Thermo for the thorough explanation on wiring issues, but you didn't suggest any recommendations on brands.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
elliot, what you will find is that most of the kits are made by the same company and just put into different people's boxes. So, does it really matter who you buy from? You may find that getting the newer "digital" HIDs is going to be a bit easier to ensure trouble free headlights. But, at the same time, you are going to be spending a little bit more.

All of the HIDs that I have bought (3 sets so far for myself, installed another 4 sets) have been relatively trouble free except when I tried to cheat the system and skimp on the wiring. These have been from Xentec, DMM Tuning, and a few other companies.

ahazbun

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have HID kits. I want to get one someday, anybody have any suggestions on a good brand?
I tried searching for a recent post but I couldnt find any.

My favorite brand is VisionPRO from ultrabrightlights.com. I've had mine for four years without issues. You get what you pay for, and this is a good price for the high-end kits.

:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

OP
OP
E

ediddily

Reaction score
Long delayed reply....I ended up getting LEDs from Hikari from Amazon, $20 flash sale long ago. So happy with them, they are 6k and soooo bright.....SO bright they ended up being recalled for being too bright. I ended up keeping them in.

Kenerator

Reaction score
Hey ededdily, would you provide the Amazon link to LEDs that you installed. Been looking to improve forward lighting myself. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2