High Speed Brake Pull

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'll get to the root of it and let you know. Thanks for the help. I bought new Motorcraft hoses and couldn't for the life of me catch the thread on the brake line. The old one threaded right back on where it stays today. Sent 'em both back.

I'll bleed that low side and give the whole thing a good looking at.

Plati

Reaction score
I'll get to the root of it and let you know. Thanks for the help. I bought new Motorcraft hoses and couldn't for the life of me catch the thread on the brake line. The old one threaded right back on where it stays today. Sent 'em both back.

I'll bleed that low side and give the whole thing a good looking at.
Thats odd. There was a post a while back from a guy who couldnt thread the banjo bolt into a new caliper.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/new-brake-caliper-banjo-bolt.36040/#post-306431

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
That is odd. I've threaded hundreds of brake line fittings, but this one just won't have it. And it's a Ford hose. The threads looked good, and I even took the hose out of its bracket to work with it. Tried all the tricks, but I'll be darned if I was going to goober up a good brake line trying. As I said, the old one went right back on. Either the hose or I was defective.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on the hoses. I had a similar problem and it ended up being the hoses.

New hoses and all is well!

Good luck tracking it down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Threads are a funny thing. All it takes is the machine or machinist to be just slightly off. They don't test them on a part like a caliper. Their cut, and tossed in their appropriate box and sent on their merry way. I posted about 2 weeks back the same thing happened at my Harley shop, where the top aftermarket spark plugs wouldn't finger tighten into the cylinder heads of the big twin motors. I like you, wasn't about to force threads on a new bike, with only 8,000 miles. Grabbed a set of Harley plugs, screwed in like butter. Took those 4 set of plugs, donated them to our trash can.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Threads are a funny thing. All it takes is the machine or machinist to be just slightly off. They don't test them on a part like a caliper. Their cut, and tossed in their appropriate box and sent on their merry way. I posted about 2 weeks back the same thing happened at my Harley shop, where the top aftermarket spark plugs wouldn't finger tighten into the cylinder heads of the big twin motors. I like you, wasn't about to force threads on a new bike, with only 8,000 miles. Grabbed a set of Harley plugs, screwed in like butter. Took those 4 set of plugs, donated them to our trash can.

I go to a lot of Estate Sales & there used to be a LOT of machinists in my area (Rochester NY) so I have picked up a TON of their old tools of the trade for pennies! I have a bunch of thread measuring thingamajigs. You know, the sawtooth guages that spin out of a feeler gauge type setup. So when in doubt I measure the threads on before/after ... and still get confused as to why it wont thread in. Then I'll get out my tap & die sets and get even more confused.

I have about 300 punches of all shapes and sizes. Starrett type quality ... all top shelf. A box of them for $2 wasn't unusual. One probably cost $40 new.

Sadly ... those old Machinists are moving on to the big machine shop in the sky and there are less and less of those sales these days. Young people dont seem to want to get into that field either. We have Help Wanted signs up all over offering bonus's.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These days most of the yourh is more interested in computer related fields. Here in the Bay area they make from $80k to $130k straight out of college. Can you blame them. Who wants to stand in front of a lathe or milling machine day in day out, at half that money.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These days most of the yourh is more interested in computer related fields. Here in the Bay area they make from $80k to $130k straight out of college. Can you blame them. Who wants to stand in front of a lathe or milling machine day in day out, at half that money.

When the apocalypse comes, machinists will be like gods.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a tap and die for tubing fittings would have solved that problem, but here on Long Island you can't even buy that stuff anymore. The only people working with their hands around here are Mexican Illegals and a few Salvadorians, and their precision tooling comes from Harbor Freight.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know trainmaster, if you try to chase pipe thread, your asking for a possible leak. Not to mention pipe tap and dies aren't that easy to find. Then you gotta figure out if it's sae or metric. Brass fittings are extremely soft, and tough to work with. That's why you never rush a brake line or tranny line. You don't get a second chsnce.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69