"Hill Start Assist" Replaced/Superseded by "Auto Hold"???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharPatton

Reaction score
Hi:

The 2023 Ford Expedition Timberline Owner's Manual has 4 pages on Hill Start Assist: Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 18.25.38.png

But I can't find a button to turn it on.

Has it been replaced by "Auto Hold"? It seems like they do kinda the same thing, but the "Auto Hold" is a bit more full-featured: Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 18.28.52.png

And there is a way to turn "Auto Hold" on and off:

IMG_5554.jpg

Is this correct?

Is there any disadvantage to keeping "Auto Hold" on all the time?

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 18.28.52.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 18.28.52.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 1

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the 2019 manual you can not turn hill start assist on and off. I wonder if this is overridden in certain drive modes as I would think it would be a hinderance in certain off-road situations.

The only disadvantage I can think of for auto hold is if you are on level ground and you want to creep forward a few inches. With auto hold off, you could ease your foot off the brake and it will roll forward slowly. Your foot is ready over the brake pedal. A similar situation with auto hold on requires you to push the gas pedal to start moving. This means you would probably need to use both feet.

OP
OP
C

CharPatton

Reaction score
Thanks much for taking the time to reply and share your experience!

It sounds like Hill Start Assist has indeed been replaced/superseded by Auto Hold, but maybe Hill Start Assist is always there in the background even if Auto Hold is not turned on??? I hope that Ford updates the owner's manual of the 2023 Expedition to simplify things for the reader/owner and clarify between these 2 options.

Thanks again.