Hot electrical smell under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sub0cool

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expedition EL, Eddie Baue. Loaded up, even power running boards. Yesterday I drove it around 30 miles to a nearby town, when I got out I smelled an electrical smell. Popped the hood and it seemed like it was coming from under the hood. Drove it back home and still had the same smell. Everything was working properly, running great but still the smell. I pulled the negative from battery and checked connections. I pulled all the wiring harness connections I can see and everything looks good. No burnt or hot looking pins. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? Not sure where else to look. One other thing, the AC stopped working a little over a month ago, not had it fixed yet. I have 152K miles on it.

ZapTrap

Reaction score
I would suspect the compressor clutch. Either reroute the belt with a shorter one to avoid it or get it replaced.

pango

Reaction score
I have a 2010 ford expedition as well. Just 2 days ago I had a burning smell in the cabin and it turned out to be the rear stop/park lamp socket which had totally burnt probably due to an internal short. It blew the park lamp fuse # f22 in the sjb also after burning. I have disconnected the bulb socket temporarily and replaced the fuse which brought the lights back on without ofcourse the rear right stop/park/indicator lamp. And currently searching for that lamp socket which ford says they don't carry anymore. Not sure if this is what is your problem, just sharing my current incident.

pango

Reaction score
Dorman 645-192 lamp socket was a perfect fit. Got it from partsavatar.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
One quick check: The transmission harness runs alongside the right hand exhaust manifold. Check it by the firewall from above and through the wheel well. They melt.