How bad to do the timing chains?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I have convinced myself to do the job! I have been looking at rock auto and stuff for parts. I see you can get plastic or cast tensioners, are the plastic ones ok? I am gonna do chains, guides and tensioners. Anything else I should do? Who has done the job? Anyone near Columbus Ohio that wants to make some money doing it for me? LOL

Oh, I have a 2003 Expy with a 5.4 2V motor, and just turned 202k on it. Runs great otherwise. Doesnt use a drop of oil, and trans was rebuilt about 50k ago and shifts firmly and perfect!

Think I am gonna order this kit, plus gaskets.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0143H4...colid=7ACHP1P6FAHZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't on a dare consider putting in all that hard work and labor but installing the cheapest Chinese parts I could find on Amazon. Please, Dude, spend the money, buy Motorcraft stuff and avoid doing the job twice.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where do you find Motorcraft stuff except at the Stealership? Does Rock Auto sell it?

I see the Number 1 seller on Rockauto is CLOYES 90391SB,

I want to know who has actually done the job and what they used?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Tasca Ford has good prices and a good Web Site. You can call them and they'll do right by you. Or you can buy the Chinese kit, save $90, put a pan under the car for the oil leak and do the job again in six months.

I must say I'm no genius; it's just my opinion and more than a few years experience. Never had a problem with a Motorcraft part, but the Chinese ones gave me trouble probably 70% of the time. When a job's exceptionally rough, I don't want those risks.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Shouldn't be too hard of a job really, just time consuming. Some may recommend putting in a new oil pump too since you're going to be in there anyways. Don't forget a tool to hold the camshafts. Otherwise the second that chain is off it could rocket a valve into a piston. Enginetech looks like a pretty good company. I agree that motocraft is best but I'm also a big proponent of finding a happy medium in terms of cost/quality. I would recommend spending the money on gaskets though. There is nothing more annoying and time consuming than trying to find a leak

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a set of Felpro gaskets for the front cover and valve covers.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You do realize that ALOT of Motorcraft parts are made in China right?? Just my $.02

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize that ALOT of Motorcraft parts are made in China right?? Just my $.02

Plastic parts yes, if the MC is Chinese OEM likely was too. My Motorcraft wheel bearing I just replaced was stamped FoMoCo Made In USA. The timing parts will either be canadian or USA I almost guarantee.

Dewayne

Reaction score
I wish you lots of luck with fel-pro valve cover gaskets. I've had the pleasure of doing the chains in my 99 expedition last week and a customer's 03 f150 this week. The only problem I had was with the vc gaskets not staying in the grooves. Tried 2 different fel-pro sets from 2 different stores, victor-reins perfect fit.