How do I remove paint from rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j2gifted

Reaction score
I have an 07 Expy LTD with the stock chrome cladded rims. Recently got my truck repainted, but the shop got some overspray on the rims... not giving them a hard time about it since they gave me a great deal and did a great job.

I thought the rims were actually metal, and discovered I was wrong so now I'm limited in what i can use to clean the paint off without damaging the rim.

What can I use to clean the chrome cladding without damaging the plastic and finish?

The rim in the pic isn't mine, but its that stylee297ac661407258383cf4e905673c0fb.png

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
Clay bar. Lots of elbow grease.

Excuse my ignorance, but os that what is called or is there a specific type or brand?

I won't lie, im trying to keep the elbow grease to the minimum... its this the only way?

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Meguires myself, and buy extra spray detailer, because you want to use a lot. It's the safest way to really remove all of the paint without damaging the coating. I know the video doesn't cover rims, but the technique is the same.

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
I use Meguires myself, and buy extra spray detailer, because you want to use a lot. It's the safest way to really remove all of the paint without damaging the coating. I know the video doesn't cover rims, but the technique is the same.

Thanks!

Doesn't seem hard at all. The detailer spray you mentioned is the same as the lube spray he's talking about? Or are they 2 different things?

You think one bar would be good for 4 rims?

Also, for general cleaning of cladded rims, is windex cool? I've heard mixed answers.

This would all be so much easier if these were ACTUAL chrome rims

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually comes with a bottle in the kit, and yeah, same stuff, depending on the brand you buy. My first clay bar lasted years, so as long as they aren't caked in gunk, you'll be fine.
When I was at the Cadillac dealer we dealt with the stupid clad rims all the time, we just used the regular car wash solution and a rag, worked good, no water spot issues as long as they got dried off quickly.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take it back to the shop and ask them to remove the overspray. I don't care if they gave me a good price or not I wouldn't expect them to get overspray on the wheels. So I would ask them to clean it up. They are supposed to be professionals. Just my nickel's worth.

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
I would take it back to the shop and ask them to remove the overspray. I don't care if they gave me a good price or not I wouldn't expect them to get overspray on the wheels. So I would ask them to clean it up. They are supposed to be professionals. Just my nickel's worth.
I'm sure a lot of people would. I just don't want to.

I'd rather sit in my driveway and do it than drive across town at a time thats not convenient for me.

I understand what you're getting at tho

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
Thanks!

Doesn't seem hard at all. The detailer spray you mentioned is the same as the lube spray he's talking about? Or are they 2 different things?

You think one bar would be good for 4 rims?

Also, for general cleaning of cladded rims, is windex cool? I've heard mixed answers.

This would all be so much easier if these were ACTUAL chrome rims

So... since im impatient, I did this fter work last night. Aside from a couple of spots i missed, it worked fantastic. Even removed so caked on brake dust that wasn't coming off with regular washing in the crevices.

I'll go over them again this weekend after i get my new tires.

Wasn't as hard as I thought. Did all 4 in about an hour

Thanks!!

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
acetone and water mixed 50/50, soak the soft cloth,
its chrome plated plastic, rub gently to soften. then clay bar and enjoy. i ran my 2010 wheels up my fender sides once and left red paint on them, little acetone and water and it came off

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition