How does one remove the dash cubby? And for you folks with the fancy models what is this button??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking to add the brake controller so curious if one just pulls the cubby straight out or if the panel needs to be removed and something unclipped from the back?

Also for you folks with the fancy models what button do you all have to the left of the hill control and traction control button??

iZhaYBN.jpg

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Left blank button is the power tail gate
the Hill decent button is blank on 2wd

The Cubbie is the Trailer brake controller (same spot on 2008-2014 F150's)

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clear on the cubby.
To remove it do I just pop it out or is it attached on the back that the silver panel needs to come out as well?

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clear on the cubby.
To remove it do I just pop it out or is it attached on the back that the silver panel needs to come out as well?
I’ve never taken the dash apart in the Expedition, but looking at the way it sits with that lip, as well as looking at pics of the OEM TBC, it pops out. It’s tough, I tried removing the one from my wife’s truck and gave up because it felt like something was going to break.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve never taken the dash apart in the Expedition, but looking at the way it sits with that lip, as well as looking at pics of the OEM TBC, it pops out. It’s tough, I tried removing the one from my wife’s truck and gave up because it felt like something was going to break.

This is exactly where I am at. Wanting to make sure there are no tabs that have to be released from the rear.
I am replacing the cubby so don’t really care if it breaks. Just don’t want to break any portions of the silver panel as I am going to presume they are not cheap.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I used the wonderful proportional Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller on my Explorer and '07 Expedition and was apprehensive the built-in OEM controller in my '17 Expedition was as good. Shouldn't have worried as it's just as good and does things like detect burned out trailer lights.

Expedition and F150 bin/brake controller or mounts different? The top video makes the bin just snap out; the bottom one has the bin bolted in. First installation looks easiest but the bottom ain't bad and the guy is probably doing this one-handed and holding the video camera in the other hand.

Gonna have to tell the truck's computer the brake controller is there and my quick scan of the Forscan notes doesn't show the brake controller settings. Not unexpected as all the Forscan notes I've seen are about modifying settings, not adding hardware; probably no one wants to defeat the built in brake controller.

-- Chuck

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the wonderful proportional Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller on my Explorer and '07 Expedition and was apprehensive the built-in OEM controller in my '17 Expedition was as good. Shouldn't have worried as it's just as good and does things like detect burned out trailer lights.

Expedition and F150 bin/brake controller or mounts different? The top video makes the bin just snap out; the bottom one has the bin bolted in. First installation looks easiest but the bottom ain't bad and the guy is probably doing this one-handed and holding the video camera in the other hand.

Gonna have to tell the truck's computer the brake controller is there and my quick scan of the Forscan notes doesn't show the brake controller settings. Not unexpected as all the Forscan notes I've seen are about modifying settings, not adding hardware; probably no one wants to defeat the built in brake controller.

-- Chuck
Yes, all the F-150 cubbies and TBC bolt in from the back, Expedition snaps in from the front.