How many Miles on your 4th Gen Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I take good care of my 2018 Expedition purchased new. I have my dealer perform all factory recommended maintenance, many items earlier than recommended by Ford.
Currently have 85,000 miles and the truck looks and drives like new. Any comments out there about being able to use this truck reliably to 150k miles or beyond.
Done cam phasers twice, replaced heater hoses, new serpentine belt, new battery, new thermostat and water pump. At this point the catalytic converters and turbo’s are original.
Maintenance wise, done rear brakes twice, fronts are still original but close to needing replaced, change oil about every 4K miles, flushed transmission, replaced spark plugs, done dealer emission maintenance a few times, changed transfer case oil. I have never had radiator flushed, however with replacement of cam phasers, heater hoses, water pump and thermostat, plenty of new coolant has been added.
Next service I will have front and rear differentials drained and replace lubricant.
Be interested in others who have high mileage on their trucks and cost to maintain over 100k miles.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I take good care of my 2018 Expedition purchased new. I have my dealer perform all factory recommended maintenance, many items earlier than recommended by Ford.
Currently have 85,000 miles and the truck looks and drives like new. Any comments out there about being able to use this truck reliably to 150k miles or beyond.
Done cam phasers twice, replaced heater hoses, new serpentine belt, new battery, new thermostat and water pump. At this point the catalytic converters and turbo’s are original.
Maintenance wise, done rear brakes twice, fronts are still original but close to needing replaced, change oil about every 4K miles, flushed transmission, replaced spark plugs, done dealer emission maintenance a few times, changed transfer case oil. I have never had radiator flushed, however with replacement of cam phasers, heater hoses, water pump and thermostat, plenty of new coolant has been added.
Next service I will have front and rear differentials drained and replace lubricant.
Be interested in others who have high mileage on their trucks and cost to maintain over 100k miles.
Do your turbos (wastegates) rattle?

OP
OP

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not noticed turbo gate rattle over the last six months. Have heard briefly when accelerating moderately from about 35 mph in the past very occasionally. I do have Ford ESP extended warranty to 100k miles.
Current issue, I sense the rear differential kind of creating a chatter when backing out of my drive with brakes applied, turning the wheel rather sharply. I have yet reported this to my dealer, based on previous threads someone said flushing and replacing diff lubricant might correct this versus any type of replacement or rebuild.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not noticed turbo gate rattle over the last six months. Have heard briefly when accelerating moderately from about 35 mph in the past very occasionally. I do have Ford ESP extended warranty to 100k miles.
Current issue, I sense the rear differential kind of creating a chatter when backing out of my drive with brakes applied, turning the wheel rather sharply. I have yet reported this to my dealer, based on previous threads someone said flushing and replacing diff lubricant might correct this versus any type of replacement or rebuild.
How much did your dealer charge you to change out the 6 spark plugs? My local Ford dealer wanted $900 just to change out spark plugs. lol

bobward757

Reaction score
2019 109,000. Oil every 4-5K did all underside fluids and filters at 60K (from posts on this forum). Did the cam phasers, serp belt, water pump and new (cooler) t-stat.

My only Achilles heel so far is a bad rear wheel sensor that throws everything except the vanity light into conniptions.

My warranty runs out soon, so hoping any other big ticket items come up soon! This vehicle has been a lifelong dream and I am enjoying the vehicle immensely.

Planning on taking her to 300K in the next 5 years, with the help of everyone here. Hope this helps.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A whopping 19,000 miles. A far cry from the mileage (plus wear and tear) accumulated on the vehicles I owned when I was commuting to a job and sharing them with our children.

OP
OP

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much did your dealer charge you to change out the 6 spark plugs? My local Ford dealer wanted $900 just to change out spark plugs. lol
I’m out of town, will check invoice for spark plug replacement, but I’m sure it wasn’t $900. Will advise!

OP
OP

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 109,000. Oil every 4-5K did all underside fluids and filters at 60K (from posts on this forum). Did the cam phasers, serp belt, water pump and new (cooler) t-stat.

My only Achilles heel so far is a bad rear wheel sensor that throws everything except the vanity light into conniptions.

My warranty runs out soon, so hoping any other big ticket items come up soon! This vehicle has been a lifelong dream and I am enjoying the vehicle immensely.

Planning on taking her to 300K in the next 5 years, with the help of everyone here. Hope this helps.
I’m with you, my 2018 is a great vehicle all around. Just did a 500 mile trip, I’ve never had a such a comfortable and functional road vehicle.