How many Miles on your 4th Gen Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the 180 after seeing how hot it ran when I got it but hate to say even though trans stayed around 190-195 it still failed! Could have been pre damaged from all the time running at 210 or more but hard to say. If I keep the truck I might try an air to fluid exchanger and get the fluid lower and see. That plus a Mishimoto radiator are on my list but I’m really thinking of selling it since I don’t need so much room anymore and the kids have their own cars.
I just ordered a new 2024 xlt max. I am planning to replace the factory thermostat to 180F RT1258 right after I pick it up. Hopefully it will help the tranny. I actually though of adding an air-fluid cooler too, but it is highly likely that tranny factory or esp warranty will be voided by doing this. So I am not sure if I should go that route, no mention the extra 2k to 3k cost.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 Limited Stealth that we bought a few weeks ago, about 62884. Will be putting about 8000 miles on it towing our camper Q1 next year.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered a new 2024 xlt max. I am planning to replace the factory thermostat to 180F RT1258 right after I pick it up. Hopefully it will help the tranny. I actually though of adding an air-fluid cooler too, but it is highly likely that tranny factory or esp warranty will be voided by doing this. So I am not sure if I should go that route, no mention the extra 2k to 3k cost.
My Heavy Duty Tow package, on my Plat standard wheelbase helps a lot. For what these cost Ford should at least put larger radiators and tranny coolers on al the MAX model.
I finally checked mine. 72,000 miles, 3556 total engine hours, 1109 engine idle hours. So approximately 32% idle vs driving. Registered oil changes show 4 full synthetic oil changes, counting my latest one last week.

Last edited:

AmeriKEN

Reaction score
2020... 41,000 miles
oil, tire rotations and just replaced the OE brakes
tires probably before the winter because i'm around 5-6/32" on the OE Dynapro ATMs
TRANSMISSION ISSUES: new valve body and control assembly @ 2-yrs / 24,000 miles

JakeInTexas

Reaction score
2022... 41k miles... all put on in 15months. Rotate, oil change with Mobile 1 synthetic every 7k miles.
Tires are about bald due to my antics. Rarely the transmission has a ruff shift at low speeds. Great for road trips, ski trips, pulls the boat around with ease.

andyak

Reaction score
2019 platinum 96k. only 3300 hours, 650 idle
just did differentials and transfer fluid.
doing trannie next week along with belts.

this thread just convinced me to get the 180F thermostat.

just bought at 95k - no issues- very slight turbo waste gate rattle at cold startup.

Very nice truck - looks like it has 25k !

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 Limited stealth
HD Tow package
Bought it used with 56,800 miles from an Audi dealership back in September 2022. Now has 65,395 miles, 2621 engine hours, 690 Idle hours.

Needed the cam phasers replaced about a month into ownership as it had a tick/knocking noise in rythym with engine rpms. I thought it was a bad lifter but after the phasers were replaced it was gone. Both turbo wastegates rattle all the time. Brought it to Ford and they say its normal and also dont have a way/tsb o. how to quite the wastegate rattle unless the whole turbo is replaced in which they wouldnt do even when it was still inder factory powertrain warranty. Other than those isssus it has been flawless.

I have a date with Ford to have the spark plugs replaced on 10/30. Going over 100,000 miles with the originals doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
2019 Expedition MAX Limited, about to hit 116,000 miles.
- Did Cam Phasers once, Heater Hoses once, Spark Plugs done at 98k, rear brakes done at 102k for 3rd time
- Has a malfunction upstream O2 Sensor, I'll replace that soon.
- Lubed running boards at every oil change (Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 every 7,000 miles)
- White Lithium grease used for the running boards, works like a charm.
- Had a couple times where the screen and radio would just quit working, but a quick reset would fix it.
- On 2nd set of tires, going to replace them in the next couple of months due to them being too worn, will replace with Michelin LTX AT/2
- Has had the stuck button problem on the power liftgate for as long as I can remember now, I just learned to not use the button.

Overall a good vehicle, but still like my 2010 better, which I still have. 225K....and counting!