how much rms out of stock sub amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2004 EB. I've upgraded the radio and all the speakers.
I put a sony 8" sub 4 ohm in the stock enclosure. It is a minimum 50w RMS. It sounds great.

I am trying to find out the specs on the stock amp to make sure I don't burn the sub up. I have an old cheap amp laying around for about 15 years now. It is supposed to be 100 watts RMS @ 4 ohm. Wonder is I should throw that in there. Then I will need to add a fan and a vent to keep it cool.

Would rather leave it how it is if it won't ruin the sub.

:Rock on:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u wont burn up the sub...it doesnt put out that many watts...the sub you put in needs more than what the amp is putting out...the amp puts out 15-25 watts...

OP
OP

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figured as much. I'm surprised how good it sounds as it is. Any amp you recommend? It is a Sony XS-GS80L. 50-220 watts RMS. 900 peak.

Also should have .32 cubic feet of volume. Any idea what the stock box is? Seems like more than that to me. Should I put something in there to take up the volume? It has some kind of filling in there now.

A lot to ask but, you seem to be the guy with the Audio answers. I'm just trying to get the most of what I have in it now. I don't want to add any sub boxes as I use all 3 rows and put stuff behind the rear seat.

Jyates

Reaction score
I would definitely get the specs on the stock amp, under powering a speaker (clipping) is just as bad as over powering one.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They dont clip from being under powered...clipping is from being over powered...if u have a sub rated for 500 rms and ur trying to push 1000 rms...at full tilt aka full gain...it will clip...that is when it is distorting from the coils being extended pass their limits constantly...if u under power a sub nothing happens...it wont sound as good nor perform efficiently due to being under powered....NOT CLIPPING AT ALL...NO CLIPPING AT ALL

Sent from my SM-A700L using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clipping from being under powered...smh...extreme excursion from being over powered...nothing else other than settings...which is due to when its at max settings

Sent from my SM-A700L using Tapatalk

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sub doesn't clip. The amp can clip the sine wave if being over driven and can damage the sub. Overpowering the sub can also damage it but unless the sub was very cheaply made or you are completely abusing it past its mechanical limits this is the less harmful of the two. To powerful an amp can be adjusted to work properly with just about any sub.