how to change coil on plugs and spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings! I just wanted to ask how do you manage to change cop's and plugs on a 2000 expy 4.6 ? I can't seem to reach the ones near the firewall and I also wanted to do a cylinder balance test because of a misfire. I,m new to v8 engines and would want to ask for any tips and tools needed. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

F1vel66a

Reaction score
Swivals and extensions. Lol sorry don't know much about the 4.6 motor... Get a triton :). But yea in my shop swivals are god for those had to reach places. I'd say if you can't do it that way call a local mechanic shop they usually give out pointers for free

BigJuicy02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes getting the whole socket extension and ratchet in the right position is hard. Take the ratchet off and try to slide the socket/extension past the fire wall. Once it's secured, then put the ratchet back on. Or use a shorter extension. Without the right tools it can be a nightmare. May be worth the trip to the store for a set of extensions.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doc,

as described above, little increments @ a time. use the same length extension you have, or will use on the other cylinders, for the tough to get ones. Guide the socket and extension down, then add a swivel/extension etc. as required before attaching the ratchet to break it loose. Same for reinstall.

OP
OP
D

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but how do you reach the farthest end? It's beyond reach. I plan to do a cylinder balance test by pulling off the fuel injector connectors one by one. Is this advisable?

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not beyond reach, it is just hard to reach. Sometimes you have to get up on top of the engine and really get down in there. And if worst comes to worse you will have to take the throttle body off to get in there. It is not easy but it can certainly be done. Must have alot of patience especially your first time doing it. And like the guys above said. The proper toolss are essential or you will waste alot of time getting nothing done. Good luck.