How to hard wire radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's pretty much just getting the RD 12V of power. Some of them come with hardwire kits so you can tap into your fuse box. Just look for a "switched" power source so it turns on and off with your car. Me, I don't hardwire it because it take it off every time I go home.

If you really want a RD in Toronto, and other places where they are illegal, you would have to get the Bel STI, which is undetectable to all radar detector detectors. :)

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The way I usually do it is look in the manual at the fuse box assembly and look at the descriptions of what the fuse... fuses. I just installed a overhead trip computer on my x and couldn't get to the back of the fuse box because I couldn't figure out how to get to the back and didn't feel like figuring it out. So I look at the manual and the fuse I needed also fed the shift interlock whatever which was a hot at all time circuit fused by a 5 amper. So I just spliced into that and presto.

Unless the fuse box is easier to get to. :)