How to take 03-06 headlights apart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was bored so I decided to take apart the spare set of headlights I had laying around. Thought it was going to be much harder, based on what I kept on reading over at F150online. Either way, the steps are similar to those of the F150 headlights.

Materials:
-Oven
-Large Cookie sheet
-Philips and flat head screwdrivers
-T-10 torx screwdriver
-Oven mitt(s) unless you're Chuck Norris

1. Heat oven to 200 degrees. While you wait, take out the Philips head screw in the back of the housing. It's above the turn signal bulb socket. Also, take off the little gaskets on the low and high beam sockets. I'm not sure how well they take 200 degree temps, but I decided not to risk it.

2. Place headlight on a large enough cookie sheet, and place it in the oven. Don't just set it on the racks, or you'll get nice "grille" marks burned in to the plastic, as well as nice, droopy plastic (my poor taillights...). This is what happens when your cookie sheet is too small. This part of the headlight was "hanging" out past the cookie sheet, during the second reheating:
IMGA0081.jpg

3. For the heat up, set the timer to 12 minutes. If you need to place the lights back in, set it for 10 mins or so, since the headlights will already be warm.

4. Take out the headlights, and get to work. Take a flat head screw driver, and start prying. Try to get under the sealant and lift. Do this at various places. Also, start unlatching the tabs. If you work fast enough, you should be able to get the headlight apart on the first try in less than 5 minutes.

For my first headlight, I had to reheat once. For the second one, I was able to get it done on the first try. Just shove the flat head in there, go all the way to the back to catch on the back plastic, and lift, and slide the flat head in some more to catch on the inner plastic. From there, pry. Move further down the edge and repeat.

5. Once you get the headlight separated, pull apart. The surround and the clear plastic will be attached together.

6. Take a T-10 and undo the three screws holding the chrome surround to the clear part.
expyheadlightscrews.jpg

7. The turn signal orange part is held by tabs. Takes some time, but they eventually come out.

Here's some pictures:
Without the clear plastic
IMGA0078.jpg

The chrome surround
IMGA0079.jpg

The reflectors
IMGA0080.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------

I must say, this should make painting the headlights a whole lot easier than the F150 ones ;) Also, the chrome seems to be on there pretty good. I was holding on to the chrome surround with the oven mitt while pulling the thing apart, and there's no sign of it coming off.

Haven't decided what to do with this. I could paint the surround black, or white, or gray...not sure. I have a friend who told me he had some E55s laying around, so might do a projector retrofit. But for now, at least they're taken apart :)

Sorry for the lack of good pictures. I'll add more info as I figure out how to take off the reflectors, as well as when I go to put it back together.

Last edited:

402 Motoring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like your off to a good start. I bought a set of black lamps for my project and I'm on the fence whether or not to open them up and paint the outside rings on the reflectors and tone done the amber side marker. I don't really have any chrome left on the truck so they kind of look off. I also thought about color matching them. Maybe I'll just buy a second set and just switch them from time to time.

Keep us posted with more pics as you go along!

Good Luck.

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely mine will be white. To darken the reflector without actually painting it you can remove the amber cover and paint the non reflective areas black. I've been thinking of leaving it without the amber cover and installing a led bulb there. I want to do a projector retro fit but it's so expensive...

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YUP! i saw that retro fit that was done on a lightning on the f150 site it looked damn good but too expensive for me. i never taken the lights apart so im not sure what you mean about the reflector, but i trust your judgement lol

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YUP! i saw that retro fit that was done on a lightning on the f150 site it looked damn good but too expensive for me. i never taken the lights apart so im not sure what you mean about the reflector, but i trust your judgement lol

The amber piece is just an amber cover that snaps into place. Behind it, is a reflector bowl. If you were to paint the reflector bowl black, it would give the look of the amber section being darkened.

E55 projectors are decently cheap online (like $50-$70). They don't have the best low beam pattern, but they have pretty good high beams. Either way, it'd probably be a better beam pattern than HID in stock reflectors.

If you want teh awesomeness, get some FX-R or TL bi-xenon projectors. Nice, wide low beam, pretty good high beams. Out of the 2, I'd get the TL ones since they are 3" (as opposed to the FX-R's 2.5" diameter). They'd look better in the rather large low beam reflector that we have.

Aside from projectors, you'll need a shroud (that fits your projectors), and either D2S bulbs and adapters (if you already have ballasts), or a D2S HID kit.

I'm going to try to fit in the E55s that my friend is giving me, and see how well they fit. I'll order the shrouds, bulbs and adapters once I see the projectors fit.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a side note, I figured out 2 things today.

1. The lights have a seperate vertical adjuster than the one listed in the manual. That long bolt that sticks out the back adjusts the reflectors themselves. You can turn it with a 5/32 socket.

2. Figured out how to take the reflectors off. Turning the above mentioned screw all the way in, so as to give you some space. There will be 3 gold colored screws that hold some ball joints to the reflector. They are torx screws, though I was able to get them out with an allen key (it was a standard one, don't remember the size). The one by the high beam was a pain in the ass. There might be an easier way, but that's the way I took mine off.

Test fitting of projector tomorrow (hopefully). :)

402 Motoring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just drilled some holes in the headlamp housing opposite of the screw heads and unscrewed them like that. Then all you have to do is seal them up with some black silicone.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, that's what I'll have to do for the furthest screw since the projector will be in the way. Still debating on drilling to the projector, or going the PVC reducer route.