How to turn off alarm system on 2024 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvin

Reaction score
I would like to be able to turn off alarm system completely sometimes in my Gen 4 expedition. I take a ferry occasionally and the alarm sometimes detects vehicle tilting and triggers.

I know I can pull the fuse or disconnect battery, but I really don't want to mess with it for a 30 min ferry ride.

Anyone had any luck with it?

zeecarr

Reaction score
As you are shutting the vehicle off there is an option on my 2023 to chose perimeter sensors only. It pops up on the dash in front of the steering wheel and you have to be fast to set it because it goes away in a few seconds! That keeps my dog from setting off the alarm when she moves around in the truck and should work in your case too.

OP
OP
C

corvin

Reaction score
As you are shutting the vehicle off there is an option on my 2023 to chose perimeter sensors only. It pops up on the dash in front of the steering wheel and you have to be fast to set it because it goes away in a few seconds! That keeps my dog from setting off the alarm when she moves around in the truck and should work in your case too.
Yes, I know about that, but there is no option to not set the alarm. Only to disable perimeter sensors. Which keeps tilt sensor on and still triggers on a ferry

zeecarr

Reaction score
Actually it is the other way around. It disables the tilt sensors and keeps the perimeter sensors. Maybe there are perimeter tilt sensors that would go off on a boat but not with a dog moving around inside the car? Somehow that doesn't sound correct...

Personally I think the alarms are useless and looked into disabling a while back. The only thing they are good for is going off when you don't want them to.

Here is the quote from the Owner's manual:
You can select two levels of alarm security, all sensors and perimeter sensing.

All Sensors
All sensors is the standard setting.
In all sensors, all equipped sensors are on when you arm the alarm.
Note: Do not arm the alarm with all sensors if passengers, animals or other moving objects are inside your vehicle.

Perimeter Sensing
In perimeter sensing, the interior sensors are off when you arm the alarm.
All the other equipped sensors activate when you arm the alarm in this mode.

OP
OP
C

corvin

Reaction score
Actually it is the other way around. It disables the tilt sensors and keeps the perimeter sensors. Maybe there are perimeter tilt sensors that would go off on a boat but not with a dog moving around inside the car? Somehow that doesn't sound correct...

Personally I think the alarms are useless and looked into disabling a while back. The only thing they are good for is going off when you don't want them to.

Here is the quote from the Owner's manual:
You can select two levels of alarm security, all sensors and perimeter sensing.

All Sensors
All sensors is the standard setting.
In all sensors, all equipped sensors are on when you arm the alarm.
Note: Do not arm the alarm with all sensors if passengers, animals or other moving objects are inside your vehicle.

Perimeter Sensing
In perimeter sensing, the interior sensors are off when you arm the alarm.
All the other equipped sensors activate when you arm the alarm in this mode.
I don't think you're right or may be I'm misunderstanding. Sensors that detect animals moving inside the car are not the same as sensors that detect car tilting. The way I read the manual you quoted:

Level 1 (All Sensors): impact sensor, tilt sensor, interior motion sensors, and any other sensors there are: on
Level 2 (Perimeter sensing): impact sensor, tilt sensor, and any other sensors there are: on; interior motion sensors: off

There is no option to disable tilt sensors through the dash setting from the way I read manual.