Hydrotex oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here at my shop we have been having a Hydrotex oil rep stopping by trying to get us to convert to thier synthetic blends. We already run mobil sythetic 530 in our pick up fleet and Rotella 1540 in our big trucks. As hard as our trucks run I am changing oil in the pick ups about every 2 weeks and in big trucks about once a month... 3000 miles on pick ups and 10000 on trucks.... The rep has been saying we can at least triple our milage with Hydrotex so my boss decided to to get a drum of each to try them out and we are going to have the oil tested at 4000 mile intervals to see when it starts breaking down. Has anyone every tried this oil? Im curious to see how it does.... If we can get 10000 miles out of the oil in the pick ups and 30000 out of thetrucks im gonna be one happy person but I have my doubts about it. It will be a couple weeks before I can convert as I just serviced all our trucks but Im wondering if anyone else has tried this oil?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope...let us know how it turns out...can it be bought retail for avg ppl like us?

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been researching switching from Mobil 1 to another brand recently and my conclusion became Amsoil. Placed an order online for a case of 12 for $90 for use in my next oil change. I was able to find a link and it has some interesting reading. There is also a tab at the bottom of the page that has additional oil comparisons of premium synthetics.
http://www.syntheticoils.us/hydrotex.htm

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
A fleet mechanic friend of mine used to tell me that the secret to getting big miles out of synthetic oil was to change out the oil filter every 2500 to 3000 miles and then just top off the oil level. He says that then the oil itself only needs to be changed every 8 to 10 thousand miles.

He claims that although synthetic oils have come a long way, oil filter technology hasn't.

I'm not sure that I believe all that, but he swears by it.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
callee, I am just curious why you are changing the oil at 3,000 mile intervals on the pickup trucks? You should be able to get 5,000 miles out of conventional oil (dyno oil) and 10,000 miles out of a semi-synthetic if the trucks are less than 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, changing the oil more often is not an issue and probably is cheaper in the long run. But, that is a lot of maintenance time for the trucks.

Tony, there is some truth to what your friend is saying. As a filter is used longer and longer, it collects more and more material (doing its job). The newer filters have a bypass built into them that if the differential pressure across the filter media gets too high, the oil bypasses the filter. Now you have no filtration. NOt to mention that any filter will filter down to under 1 micron. The trick is for how long. MOst filters you buy will fill those very small openings very fast and now you are stuck with only the bigger openings. Hence why most filters you get for your truck are only rated to say 40 micron. That is what they will still filter after 500 miles or so. So, by changing out the filter more often, you are keeping more of the fine ports open, collecting more of the smaller stuff which is what causes a lot of the motor wear.

OP
OP
callee11

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
callee, I am just curious why you are changing the oil at 3,000 mile intervals on the pickup trucks? You should be able to get 5,000 miles out of conventional oil (dyno oil) and 10,000 miles out of a semi-synthetic if the trucks are less than 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, changing the oil more often is not an issue and probably is cheaper in the long run. But, that is a lot of maintenance time for the trucks.

Well I have suggested that we run them for longer and told my boss we could prolly get away with like 5,000 on the pick ups and 15,000 on the trucks but he is very **** about the way he wants things done, it has taken me and the rep about 6 months to convince him to try this oil and the only way we did was to tell him to test the oil and decide for himself.... I do see his point as he says... "hey we have the oil and filter.... why not change it, easier than changing the engine " lol but damn it sucks changing oil ALL the time.... plus our trucks are high milage most have 250k to 300k.... 2008-2010 F250's and chev 2500's

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A fleet mechanic friend of mine used to tell me that the secret to getting big miles out of synthetic oil was to change out the oil filter every 2500 to 3000 miles and then just top off the oil level. He says that then the oil itself only needs to be changed every 8 to 10 thousand miles.

He claims that although synthetic oils have come a long way, oil filter technology hasn't.

i just said that the other day in another thread lol. my brother told me about that he is a diesel fleet mechanic lol kinda ironic

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score

i just said that the other day in another thread lol. my brother told me about that he is a diesel fleet mechanic lol kinda ironic

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger