Hypertech Chips!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b_salgado

Reaction score
For all of you that are looking to improve performance and fuel economy here ya go! I just installed a Hypertech chip in my 97 EB. This thing is awesome! It has been in for 4 days. So far I have driven the truck harder than usual and have gotten 2.3 MPG more than if I was driving like an old lady! The shifts are crisp and firm but not harsh. Acceleration is smooth and responsive. It is really fun to drive now! The best part about all this is that I haven't even switched to premium fuel yet! I had a full tank when I installed the chip so I figured that I would run out what was in there! With #'s like this I don't know if I want to switch to premium at a cost of $2.45+/gal. I havent experienced any pinging or detonation under acceleration. And The performance factor is amazing! This is the easiest mod done to date with the best performance increases. To top it all off.... I found the chip from a friend of mine for $50! Double bonus!

OP
OP
B

b_salgado

Reaction score
I have been told be some that Ford cannot retrieve the engine codes with the chip in place. If I was gonna buy one new I would get a programmer. If you had to go to the dealer you could always just plug it back in and return to stock tuning.
I did the install my self and it was a snap. I had to remove the battery, remove the 10mm bolt holding the wiring harness to the ECM, then remove the interior kick panel and unclip the ECM. I then removed the dust cover and cleaned the computer contacts and installed the chip. I reinstalled the ECM and replaced the clip. I then went back under the hood and hooked the harness back up and tightened the bolt. I then re-installed the battery and fired it up. Thats pretty much the entire install for almost any chip on the market. The programmer is easier.... just plug it into the diagnostic port under the dash. Answer the questions on the screen and follow the instructiond that it gives you. Confirm settings and your done! Hope this helps!

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions... Do you know if these chips have been known to decrease the life of engine or tranny parts? I plan on keeping my Expedition until something major goes wrong.

BarryO

Reaction score
HyperTech chip

I looked at the HyperTech site and could not find a chip for the 04 Expedition. Did I miss something?