Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 - First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the Raptor engine has larger turbo's. I would be curious to see if the rods or crank are different.

BINGO....I believe that I read or saw where the crank insert bearings have been hardened to deal with the power. Apparently, LMS found that at above 420HP, bad things began to happen to the lower end....I don't know if anything above the crank was changed though.

My thoughts are "once out of warranty, have at it". I will admit to thinking about it though. It really isn't much money at all for 20-30 BHP these days. My only worry continues to be the bottom end. I will probably just need to see evidence that I'm worrying for nothing...then I'll be clicking a couple of buttons and ordering!

jeff

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Knowing the Ecoboost has been out since 2011 in the F150, most tuners have worked out the bugs that prevent blown head gaskets from too much boost. I think moderation will always be the key to longevity. I dont think adding 50 to 75HP on our 3.5L will do any harm. Knowing that our 3.5L engines have knock sensors will prevent most issues.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may well be correct Mike but I have not read of cases involving head gaskets blowing on the 3.5's. Most issues surround the crank insert bearings from the information that I've seen....Running a 0-30W synthetic SHOULD prevent the type of loading that would be causing the galling noted but certainly the 20-30hp increase that Loki is finding right at the pedal in typical traffic is probably never going to be the cause of anything bad.

We all know that power/longevity is the ultimate compromise.....I can build your engine to last 2 million miles, but at 55 HP, you probably will be left wanting more....but at 550HP, it's only going to last 20,000 miles.....so finding that balance point is always a command decision by the design team.

jeff

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running a 0-30W synthetic SHOULD prevent the type of loading that would be causing the galling noted but certainly the 20-30hp increase that Loki is finding right at the pedal in typical traffic is probably never going to be the cause of anything bad.
jeff

My owners manual says to use 5W30 and I plan to fill my Expy with Valvoline synthetic once the engine fully breaks in. I would think the 0W30 would help in the winter but does a 5 weight difference really make that big of a difference?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I presently use the Motorcraft synth 5-30 as the manual states.

My supercharged car manual from Mercedes calls for 0-40W Mobile 1 which I've always used and it never gets dirty because I change it often. The advantage of the 0W is that you get some degree of lubrication on startup. I mentioned it in passing only because we were discussing the possibility of the inset bearings being the weak link in the 3.5...and a 0W may provide some protection in those cases where massive amounts of power has been added to the engine.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense now...

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not much you can do for the 5.4 engines even with a tuner. A turbo is a whole different animal.

I have to disagree here. Some years ago I was in a tuned 5.4 or maybe it was a 4.6 F-150, the thing picked up way faster than stock. I think it was a hyper tech ironically. Five Star Tuning offers packages with the tuner and exhaust that really add some juice to the 4.6 and 5.4. The 3.5 should be able to be assisted more so since you can just add more boost.