I can't get the fuel filter off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the tool to remove it. Not sure which end I'm supposed to use. The smaller one seems to fit better, but neither one releases the lines.

I did buy the cheapest tool, but I thought it would still work.

I just slide it into the "bell" shaped part and push away from the filter. Nothing happens.

Thoughts?

Jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
i feel your pain. i'm in the same boat. i got the tool and tried to slide it in the recess part but it wont come apart. i was able to get the other fuel line right in that area apart. i guess its an emissions line or something. but i still cant get the filter off.

itsmarta

Reaction score
here is what you do:
place the tool around the silver fuel line on the filter. there should be no play in the tool when you compress it against the line. slide the tool towards the fuel line you are trying to disconnect. while pushing the tool towards the line and into the opening, push the actual fuel line towards the tool. this will allow the spring in the line to expand and go over the tool. then push the tool out towards the line again maintaining pressure on the line being pushed towards the filter. this will allow the spring to stay on the tool end and allow you to pull the line off the filter.
hope this helps.

If it has blue, green or purple tabs on the connection, just pinch these together and pull the line out.

If it has plastic "U" shaped connectors in it, expand the open part of the "U" and pry up on the top of the connector.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's more or less what I was doing, though, with the filter being directly on top of the cross member, it's hard to get two hands in there at once.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow morning.