I can't take anymore sagging....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVAEXPEDITION

Reaction score
I finally had enough of the sagging while towing today. I've had the worst luck with towing with all of my vehicles. I hate riding down the highway and seeing a 2wd 2000 ranger towing a tandem axle car trailer loaded while my 2001 Expy is on the ground towing 4000 lbs. When I had a ranger mine would sag towing 750lbs go figure. I flipped out today and ordered new Coil Springs, Daystar Spacers 1", Monroe Coil-over Load Assist Shocks, and Air Lift 1000 helper bags. I swear if I hook up to the trailer and it still sags you will see it on this site and/or craigslist for sale. I will try and remember to take pics before, while, and after install. By the way I have coil spring suspension already, not air bags.

:flamingdevil:

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, well I hope that works for ya! I had a 26' camper and the 90010 spring kit from swapping out the airbags. I used a load leveler and anti sway hitch. My trailer was flat, and the Expedition had a slight sag in the back. The way it should sit. I could cruise at 70 on I-64 with one hand on the wheel. It was nice.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ one of the reasons I kept the airbags. I can haul anything (heaviest Ive done is carry 12 adults myself included and the expe was level as if it was nothing - def a sweet sight)

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually am in the same boat. Mine sags really low on my 30' 6500 lb trailer. I was asking a bit back about towing shocks vs air bags. I was going to do what you have suggested, coil over shocks, air lift 1000.

OP
OP
RVAEXPEDITION

RVAEXPEDITION

Reaction score
Yeah, I just couldn't take it anymore. I was going to tow a 6500 lb trailer to Tampa, FL last week from Richmond, VA but ended up giving a buddy of mine a few hundred bucks to take his 2014 Ram, which has more power but was sitting quite low as well due to having coil springs. Idc what anyone says I would rather go back to leaf springs all around on every truck, van, and SUV haha.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im in this from a Jeep XJ originally, so you dont have to convince me about lift springs. I pulled a ram 3500 that died in a ditch with that XJ 45 miles. It never sagged.

OP
OP
RVAEXPEDITION

RVAEXPEDITION

Reaction score
Finally installed the stuff I ordered

It took me about 2 hrs using a lift. The hardest part was reaching the bolt on top of driver side shock. I took some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 101

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same air bags. I keep 10 psi in mine all the time. It seems to ride better. I put 40 bags of mulch in the back and the guy at Home Depot was shocked it didn't even look loaded.

OP
OP
RVAEXPEDITION

RVAEXPEDITION

Reaction score
Yeah they are not too bad, mine seem to be a bit short (even fully inflated) and don't fill the entire spring though. Could this be because I went with a variable rate spring instead of a constant rate spring? I never even checked to see if they were the same height. They are also a little kinked inside , which I thought would go away once I inflated them, but it didn't. Oh well.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They aren't supposed to inflate the length of the spring. They push outward against the coils. Mine were wrinkled when I installed mine. They worked themselves out as you drive and are now all straight. Keep about 10 psi in them. I also sprayed mine down with silicone spray to help them move around.