I get it! Gen 1 conquers the ice and snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No doubt tires do make a difference but still think 2wd is not comparable to 4wd. Maybe a 4wd with tires that are in need or replacement vs a well set up rear wheel drive with snow tires.

Except for initial get-go and perhaps a little stability, an AWD / 4x4 with, say, All-seasons, will stop and turn no better than a 2wd with the same tires.

Beardskii

Reaction score
Except for initial get-go and perhaps a little stability, an AWD / 4x4 with, say, All-seasons, will stop and turn no better than a 2wd with the same tires.

It may be because I'm a huge lions fan, It may be because you're from the motherland for our vehicles or it may be because you guys have turrible winters and I beleive you know what you're talking about.

but I'm in 100% agreeance.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expedition I keep in 4hi so I don't have to worry about engagement.

I have studded tires on my tahoe and in 2wd it doesn't do nearly as good as the expedition or yukon xl with 4wd engaged and all season tires.

Don't get too confident mediamonkey. Packed snow vs melted and frozen snow vs frozen ice under a thin layer of water are very different. I almost wiped out the other day on some ice, but I was experimenting with cruise control on purpose to see if it would kick off. Bad idea but didn't wreck so I'm happy.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The expedition I keep in 4hi so I don't have to worry about engagement.

I have studded tires on my tahoe and in 2wd it doesn't do nearly as good as the expedition or yukon xl with 4wd engaged and all season tires.

Don't get too confident mediamonkey. Packed snow vs melted and frozen snow vs frozen ice under a thin layer of water are very different. I almost wiped out the other day on some ice, but I was experimenting with cruise control on purpose to see if it would kick off. Bad idea but didn't wreck so I'm happy.

Oh I've done my fair share of snow driving, in all conditions short of 10+ below. Not saying I'm an expert, merely surprised at the performance of this rig. Heck, I've driven in it enough to know that if I don't have to drive in it, I don't.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just wanted to post to clarify. What we had here in DFW(and usually have) was ICE/Freezing Rain. No snow involved. They are calling it ICEPOCALYPSE. You couldn't make a snowball...someone would end up seriously hurt.

I would much rather have all 4 wheels spin than just the two rear wheels with fancy snow tires.

Ridgerunner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We didn't get a lot here in Stillwater, about 2 inches of snow after the ice. My Expy done well in 2WD we have yet to try AWD or 4 Wheel Hi

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just wanted to post to clarify. What we had here in DFW(and usually have) was ICE/Freezing Rain. No snow involved. They are calling it ICEPOCALYPSE. You couldn't make a snowball...someone would end up seriously hurt.

I would much rather have all 4 wheels spin than just the two rear wheels with fancy snow tires.

Yah my uncle was driving his Dodge Ram in the right lane on the freeway in DFW when a focus in the left lane lost it crossing over in front of him. Straight up totaled both vehicles.

Oi.

Beardskii

Reaction score
Yah my uncle was driving his Dodge Ram in the right lane on the freeway in DFW when a focus in the left lane lost it crossing over in front of him. Straight up totaled both vehicles.

Oi.

I was stuck behind a Camry for two hours going 15 mph on the interstate. everyone ahead of us was going 45. (So was I after the lanes opened up.)

I don't understand people who have Front wheel drive and are afraid of snow an ice. It may take you a million years but you'll eventually get somewhere.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score

That is the worst. We had that a few years back where it rained in 40 degree weather for most of the day then continued to rain as a cold front rolled through. By the time me and my buddies were leaving Buffalo Wild Wings it was about an inche of sheer ice on every road. 20 minute drive took us an hour and half to complete, and the whole drive I was in 4H. I had no control whatsoever.

Only time I have been worried driving my truck.

I agree with the above tire statements, but I do have to say that my truck had way better traction on bald A/T tires (my last set) in A4WD than I currently have if I have my truck in 2H on the Coopers when it came to getting the truck moving. Getting all that metal going with rear wheel drive only is not easy to do regardless of the quality tire.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Really, beating a dead horse here, but tires folks. Tires. Rear wheel drive with snow/winter tires will out-perform even 4x4/awd on all-seasons in every aspect, except, maybe, initial take-of.

No doubt tires do make a difference but still think 2wd is not comparable to 4wd. Maybe a 4wd with tires that are in need or replacement vs a well set up rear wheel drive with snow tires.

The portion of my post you quoted, taken a bit out of context but anyways, was in response to yours above with which I disagree. If you lived near me I would love to put this to the test. I would be willing to be the unfortunate 4wd on all season radials guinea pig.

Sounds a bit more toned down from your original statement.

Once you up to speed, have momentum on your side and not negotiating an incline you would see no disagreement from me here on that one! Your basically coasting after all :shrug: Should be common sense.. Both share the same brakes and front wheel steering.

But by the same logic in your reply I can claim my mustang handled just as well in the snow (once up to speed) but that's certainly misleading and would not wish that experience on anybody.

The ability for 4wd to get up to speed and maintain that momentum regardless of terrain is simply unmatched by Rwd in questionable conditions. Where I live between the hills and traffic Rwd sucks butt in significant snow and it doesn't come down to just the initial take off. Constant spinning / fishtailing trying to negotiate hills and accelerate from stops if it can even do so.

There may also be some slight handling differences due to the front wheels supplying power. Can help pull the front wheels through the turn. Engine braking would also be applied to all 4 wheels. But not claiming this makes any significant difference.

In the end I understand the point your trying to make about tires. Tires do significantly effect available traction and I said so.

But saying a Rwd with decent snow tires will out perform a 4wd on all season radials in every aspect is a bit much. My experience with snow tires on rwd was it was a slight to moderate improvement but no comparison to 4wd. Admittingly and not surprisingly though it did coast, stop and turn nearly the same. I certainly would not claim it out performed 4wd in any aspect.

Last edited: