I got new tires for the beast!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't going to post in this because I got stuck with a set of those tires on an explorer I purchased once and they sucked, I couldn't get them off fast enough especially after the first major rain storm I had to drive in. The Rugged Trails were probably about 80-90% when I acquired the explorer but they were, as noted, dangerous in the rain where is really where you want a tire to excel. All other driving experiences were marginal at best.

My BFG ATs were decent in the rain for an A/T until they were about 6/32s then things got hairy. One tire I had good luck with was a cheap set of Nitto Terra Grapplers (LT295/70R17E @ 165 bucks each installed). The Nitto tires were better than the BFG A/T in all situations EXCEPT deep nasty mud where you had to really keep them spinning to clean them. I'm not dumb enough to live where it snows so no good reviews as far as that goes.

OP
OP
spotdog14

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I have now used these tires in every type of weather condition from back ice to blowing snow to deep snow to diving rain and overall I am very impressed with these tires. I would rate them in the top three best tires I have ever had on a vehicle:

1.) Goodyear Fortera TripTreads
2.) BFG A/T
3.) BFG Rugged Terrain T/A

Here is some snow I was in during the "polar vortex" here in Michigan a while ago.

1532041_10104436568922134_138250326_o.jpg

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very nice! I appreciate your updates! When it comes time to replace my tires I will definitely be referencing your thread.

botts

Reaction score
Just a quick update. I have now used these tires in every type of weather condition from back ice to blowing snow to deep snow to diving rain and overall I am very impressed with these tires. I would rate them in the top three best tires I have ever had on a vehicle:

1.) Goodyear Fortera TripTreads
2.) BFG A/T
3.) BFG Rugged Terrain T/A

Here is some snow I was in during the "polar vortex" here in Michigan a while ago.

1532041_10104436568922134_138250326_o.jpg

By BFG A/T, do you mean the KO tires? I'm looking to upgrade my Pirelli ATRs after getting stuck a couple times.

I've got Nokian Hakkapellitta 7's for winter, so snow traction isn't a huge deal, but I'd love better wear on gravel for hunting season.

How are the BFGs for noise compared to the Pirellis?