I really need some advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

semperfi96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok my x started to act like it was missfiring yesterday, I just put all new plugs and cop's in it. I cant get a code when its on a scanner, its not a constant missfire

When it idles it is fine sometimes it doesnt do it while im at speed, but when I am under accelleration it sucks, jumping like a missfire. I changed the fuel pump and filter thinking maybe it wasnt getting enough fuel. it helped alittle.

Could it be the injectors or a injector? anyone had this problem?

If I have to change one Im doing all of them so before I spend another couple bills on it I wanted to ssee what you guys thought?

Thanks

ps its a 97 5.4

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
ok my x started to act like it was missfiring yesterday, I just put all new plugs and cop's in it. I cant get a code when its on a scanner, its not a constant missfire

When it idles it is fine sometimes it doesnt do it while im at speed, but when I am under accelleration it sucks, jumping like a missfire. I changed the fuel pump and filter thinking maybe it wasnt getting enough fuel. it helped alittle.

Could it be the injectors or a injector? anyone had this problem?

If I have to change one Im doing all of them so before I spend another couple bills on it I wanted to ssee what you guys thought?

Thanks

ps its a 97 5.4

Whats the plug gap?? I believe the recommended gap is .052-.056. Asking because if the gap is set too large it can and will misfire under heavier loads.

The larger the gap the harder to fire and the heavier the load the harder to fire. Sounds to me like ignition issue because generally improper air fuel would nose over before it would jump or buck.

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me, I would examine the top of the engine and connections under broad daylight and scourge every inch to see if something is unplugged, then re-seat every connections. Did you move or disconnect an vacuum hoses?

What brand of plugs and COPs did you get?

Did you gap each plug before installed?

While it's not probable, it's possible that one of the plugs scraped some gunk on the way in, although I think it should have burned off\ blown out by now.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Semperfi, humor me here. Open up the hood of the truck and look back at #4 plug (back passenger plug, you know that plug that you probably called a few 4 letter words as you were working on it). Look at the top of the motor and see if you see any coolant back there. If so, you have knocked the heater core hoses loose and they are now leaking on to the #4 COP (sometimes will also soak #3) and causing it to short out and not completely fire the cylinder. After that, I would give that plug a torque check just to make sure that it is still tight. If the plug starts to back itself out, you can get this problem too. That plug is notorious for being the blow out plug.

OP
OP
S

semperfi96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thermo, no coolant, anywhere thank goodness. I ordered a new set of injectors anyway. they werent to expensive on ebay and I got new bosch. Even though I just changed plugs while im doing the injectors, I probably will do them again as well.

OP
OP
S

semperfi96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whats the plug gap?? I believe the recommended gap is .052-.056. Asking because if the gap is set too large it can and will misfire under heavier loads.

The larger the gap the harder to fire and the heavier the load the harder to fire. Sounds to me like ignition issue because generally improper air fuel would nose over before it would jump or buck.

set it at .054