I smell fumes when A/C or Auto temp is set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed back in the summer that if I was running my A/C that I would get this strange smell. It wasn't a mold or milder smell. It smelled like a band aid. But it wasn't a subtle smell either. It is bad enough to almost give you a headache. I live in Michigan and the outside temp has gone up a little in the past week. So instead of running strictly defrost, I've had it on Auto. It seems to go away when I run it at 80+ temp. But if I keep it around 69-72 temp then I smell it. My 8 year old got in the car yesterday and said, dad why does it smell like a dentist in here? So... I need to figure out what is causing this. Anyone have any thoughts as to what could be doing this? I did recharge the A/C in the summer. Could I of over filled it? I do not recall this happening before the recharge but who knows... maybe it was? The A/C appears to be working just fine. It just stinks.

skeeter

Reaction score
Sounds like a Freon leak in the evaporator or hoses going to/from evaporator. In AUTO 69-72 mixes A/C and outside ambient air or A/C only and at 80 you're mixing heat and ambient air.