I think I am confused about wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A buddy of mine offered me 2011 18" ford explorer wheels but they are a 5 bolt 114.3

My f150 is a 5 bolt 135..

does that mean they are too small?

I seriously know nothing about wheel sizes.. i just know what mine are.

Any help would be appreciated.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the explorer bolt pattern is smaller... an expy on f150online has similar spacers because he changed to 6x135 rims and they are holding up well last I saw..

OP
OP
S

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can't I just drill the holes bigger? or would that compromise the wheel

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can't I just drill the holes bigger? or would that compromise the wheel

Don't do that! You would end up with serious problems........... like having a wheel that wobbles bad enough to tear up your suspension or even loosing a rim and tire and watching it roll down the road after it comes off your hub.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
jd i have a question about that. my friend on that had the green mustang i posted pictures. drilled those rims when he put them on a 2001 325i. they held up. why can't you drill new holes? isn't it like the universal wheels that have holes for different sizes on same rim? like 6x135 and 6x139.7?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they may have been blanked...meaning NO HOLES so they were drilled in...

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
jd i have a question about that. my friend on that had the green mustang i posted pictures. drilled those rims when he put them on a 2001 325i. they held up. why can't you drill new holes? isn't it like the universal wheels that have holes for different sizes on same rim? like 6x135 and 6x139.7?

If the rim was taken to a machine shop and they said that they could make additional holes to match the other bolt pattern without compromising the integrity of the wheel, then maybe it would work......... maybe. But why would you want to take the chance of having an unsafe wheel mounted to your vehicle? IMHO I would just buy the correct wheels for the application and never have to worry about it.