I think I just F'ed myself with PATS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ** almost ** F'ed myself with PATS

Ok, looking for some options here as I now have a 3 tonne chunk of rubber and steel sitting in front of my house that I am unable to move.

Last night I lost the only programmed key I have for the truck, and, well, you know...

Sigh... :3681700201_eef6d1e2

I do have a plain key for the truck so I can open and start it, but of course the PATS kicks in after a couple of seconds and shuts it down.

Short of towing it down to Ford and getting hosed on a reprogram and a new set keys, what can I do?

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont know of a way to bypass the PATS system. Unless you have a car thief for a friend. Maybe they can help. Other than that. Looks like its time for a ride to the dealership.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You could send the ecu out to a place like 150tunes.com and they can disable the PATS.

Of course that's going to take a few days and cost $150. Probably not any cheaper of faster than towing it to the dealer.

Not that it helps, but the moral of the story is to always make sure that you have a backup key somewhere.

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't already have yours tuned and have the extrah money, you might as well double up and get a tuner which can disable PATS & give you a little better performance.

I wouldn't pull the ECU out personally, I'd get a handheld ODB-II tuner.

OP
OP
L

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, dodged a bullet.

But what a mother of all Monday mornings...

After an hour of fruitlessly searching the living room, den and bedroom I decided to worry about it later and drive the mustang instead as the weather is still decent enough and the roads remain dry.

Doh! Took the (dead) battery out this weekend as part of winterization. So threw the charger on the batt and went for a walk down the street to see if it was laying on the ground following a walk to the local convenience store last night. No dice.

Figured while I was there anyway might as well get a morning coffee, then found my bank card was missing. :wtf2:

Great, just what I needed. Although, that was only a short lived panic as it turned out I had left it at that same store last night (really wierd, it never leaves my hand.

Ran back to the house and jumped on the bank online to make sure nothing happened with the account last niight, fortunately no monkey business.

Back to the garage to check the battery, still not charged. Looks like it may be too far gone to do anything with it.

Back in the house, really start to turn it inside out. Three hours later ended up making it look like a gang of thugs out of a nightmare tossed the place. Still nothing.

Checked the battery again, nope, not taking a charge.

Decide to make the wife late for her job and borrowed her car to run to the parts store and bought a new battery for the Mustang. $140 bucks I wanted to spend this upcoming spring instead of now. Oh well.

Wife drops me off in the alley and takes off for work (cursing and swearing at me for making her late), drop off battery in the garage by the car, what the??? Now WHERE THE HECK is my tool bag? :think: CRAP! it's in the (now locked) house in my den as I had been doing a bit of work around the house on saturday.

Call the wife, and asked her to turn around and open the house for me. More cursing and swearing, and a big "no bloody way". I told her it was that, or I was going to smash the bedroom window and break in.

She turns around and lets me in the house, along with a few more choice words. I grab the tools and back out to the garage. Dig through the bag to grab a pair of wrenches, and what do I find? Bloody truck key, sitting down in the bottom of the bag under a pile of wrenches and screwdrivers.

It seems that it fell out of my coat pocket when I threw it on the back of the chair in the den yesterday afternoon after running some errands. (Un)fortunately, the bag was right underneath the back of the chair. So out of the pocket it went and down into the bag. Fortunate it fell into the bag and it didn't get lost, (Un) because if bag had been elsewhere the key would have been sitting out in the middle of the floor and would have been easy to see.

Oh well, at least the truck is mobile again.

And lesson learned. Been planning to buy a second key for a while now but been too lazy to do - but will be doing on the way home tonight after work. Or maybe even a second and a third...

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MAN! Add that one to your diary. And don't feel bad. I misplace (temporarily loose my s***) every day. Primarly the wallet and my keys. My wife is at her wits end (in a good way).

Hate to think what I'm gonna end up like when I'm really old.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
glad you found it but wow what a way to start the day...

a few weeks ago we got ready and jumped in the expy headed out for the day, it cranks and cranks and cranks im like wth... so i start investigating and my chip is missing from the key. well thats not good... it turns out my daughter took it out and was playing with it as we found it in her mickey mouse doll pocket well first stop that day was to get a spare key

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good locksmith can fix that for you.... next time. Then again, don't lose the keys again!

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right there is the reason my PATS key is on a BIG orange key ring.....

OP
OP
L

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks all, was most definitely an Oh S**t episode, and of course had to be a Monday morning. And very glad it worked out, and am sure feeling lucky for finding it. Was more scared that the snow would fly before I could get it fixed up than anything else.

I'll definitely feel better once I get a couple of spares on hand. I think while I am at it I will pick up a third for the pony car, just to be on the safe side...