IAC Valve question- Thermo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Occassionally when I go to start my truck it will start and immediately stall. I traced it to the Idle Air Control valve, when that would happen I would tap it and the truck would start and idle. I went to replace it and it is at the back of the engine almost under the firewall. I lost one 7mm Snap On socket already, any tricks to getting that bugger replaced?

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the one on my wife's '98 not that long ago. It really wasn't that bad. If I can do it with my T-Rex arms, anyone can do it.

Victor

And this solved a very similar issue with her truck.

Last edited:

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you take the vanity cover off the throttle body? It's pretty accessible once it's off. Just use a stool or sit right up on there.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Jay, like was mentioned, if you know the hole to go in, it isn't that bad. If you look by the starter solenoid (kinda under the overhang of the firewall), you should see an opening that you can slide your arm in. From there, it is just being slow and deliberate.