Ice in door jambs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlhaberm

Reaction score
My 2017 Platinum is building up ice in the door jambs. This just started happening this year. The ice is thick enough I’m afraid it’s going to damage the door when opening it. Any ideas on what is causing this, and how to prevent it?

Attachments

• 1BA92928-A119-4247-9DFA-BB6D0477BC93.jpeg
    1BA92928-A119-4247-9DFA-BB6D0477BC93.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 7CB4550C-84F1-4347-89C4-12CE4D9F2B96.jpeg
    7CB4550C-84F1-4347-89C4-12CE4D9F2B96.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 32

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a new one! Since your truck is white, maybe you can put some food coloring in some water and pour it from the roof. Try to see where it's leaking in. Might be a hole or tear in the weatherstripping?? Just some ideas.

OP
OP
R

rlhaberm

Reaction score
Thanks. I can see where the water is coming from…what I don’t understand is what’s causing it to freeze and build up in the door jamb. This is our 4th winter here in CO and first time this to ever happen. I don’t see any parts missing, damaged, etc, so nothing changed as far as can tell.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my transit work van I've had the sliding door and back barn doors freeze to the point I had to take it to the shop and park it inside for 30 minutes before I could get it open. Do you have a carport or garage you could park in? If not try to park on a slope so the water runs towards the front or back of the vehicle instead of straight down.

XR4Ti

Reaction score
I haven't seen this before, though I have seen snow and ice in the door jamb and rocker panel area, either from blowing in or coming off boots. I would recommend drying it out then spraying the area with silicone spray. That may help with drainage of water/snow.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Look at the bottom of each door. There are two plastic one-way plugs. On our 2008 they work for s$&t. We took them out.

They are supposed to drain water out of the door. (Turns out the doors aren’t really all that waterproof.) taking these plugs out will take care of a bit of your problem. Don’t forget the rear hatch too.

The freezing higher up around the door will do damage anything, but it can make for some interesting tugging to get it open first thing in the morning. At least here on the frozen tundra.

OP
OP
R

rlhaberm

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
1. I took the plugs out of the doors a long time ago because they e were holding water. This doesn’t help with ice in the door jambs though.
2. I’ve sprayed silicone (didn’t help) and WD-40 in the jambs…still got ice this morning.
3. Will try parking on an incline and see if that helps.
Still can’t figure why this just started happening after 4 years! Parking in the same spot here in CO for the past 3 winters.

OP
OP
R

rlhaberm

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
1. I took the plugs out of the doors a long time ago because they e were holding water. This doesn’t help with ice in the door jambs though.
2. I’ve sprayed silicone (didn’t help) and WD-40 in the jambs…still got ice this morning.
3. Will try parking on an incline and see if that helps.
Still can’t figure why this just started happening after 4 years! Parking in the same spot here in CO for the past 3 winters.
Winter 5 and still having this issue. Is no else experiencing this???

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had the exact same issue every winter in MN. I believe the ice and snow on the windshield and especially black plastic cowl melts in the sun, drips down the sides, and then re-freezes in the cold metal door jambs. I don't know how to fix this other than somehow redirecting the melted ice/snow somewhere else.

Big_O

Reaction score
I used some RV weatherstrip conditioner to keep the doors from freezing shut. Reply every fall. Works well thus far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccky