Impossible to find grinding/rattle noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Exterminator

Reaction score
My 2010 Expedition has an untraceable grinding or rattle in the front that I can't locate. You can clearly hear it in the vehicle with the window up but not so much with the window down. I have had the entire IWE system replaced. It even does it with the vacuum line unhooked. Starts at about 40 mph and seems to start whenever I lightly press on the gas pedal. If I pull my trailer it gets very bad at 65 or so. I can"t seem to find anything loose underneath so I also changed all the pulleys to no avail as well. All of this is based upon the advice of my local Ford Dealer. I'm in for about 2k now with no results!!!!! Any suggestions???

RedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
noises will drive us NUTS!!!!! just throwing out ideas..

Do you know if it does it in 2WD only? or 4WD also?? Do you feel any vibration in steering system? any front end work done like wheel bearings or anything that would have required taking off skid plate or anything like that? can you get a vid or sound bite of the rattle and post it? i had a rattle that only happened after 45 when i tried to go up slight incline in o/d... like if you were driving highway... but now it doesn't do that... after some work i had done..they took skid plate and such off and then re-attached...

I hate noises with my Expy... drives me insane.......

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2010 Expedition has an untraceable grinding or rattle in the front that I can't locate. You can clearly hear it in the vehicle with the window up but not so much with the window down. I have had the entire IWE system replaced. It even does it with the vacuum line unhooked. Starts at about 40 mph and seems to start whenever I lightly press on the gas pedal. If I pull my trailer it gets very bad at 65 or so. I can"t seem to find anything loose underneath so I also changed all the pulleys to no avail as well. All of this is based upon the advice of my local Ford Dealer. I'm in for about 2k now with no results!!!!! Any suggestions???

Alignment / suspension?

Bushes and balljoints in tie rods, control arms, sways? One or more of the above loose and not torqued to spec, or bent?

Unbalanced wheel or out of round tire, deformed rim?

PS what do I know I'm more of a sport sedan guy, at least before....however on cars it was ALWAYS one of those... and before anyone jumps in to say it's a beefy truck and nothing like it, I started noticing suspension components on vehicles I see after redoing the whole front end on a bimmer, and from what I've seen on SOME trucks, suspension components are no heavier duty than on autobahn cruisers...heck the sways on some buddies' Tahoes and Suburbans are so cute and pencilly they make those on my lil 3 series look positively MASSIVE and overbuilt

Last edited:

parkway

Reaction score
I have the same problem with no solution yet. replaced front hubs and actuators, driveshafts, brake rotors, transfer case and still it growls from 25 to 45 mph

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Looks like you have to get the truck in the air, on a lift or jacks and run it. Then listen for the sounds. See where they are coming from. That's the last thing I do when I can't find a noise and sometimes I find it. Sometimes it goes away when not under a load though. Just be careful...

2020MAX

Reaction score
New to the forum. Hi all
I has the same issue on my 2010, along with many others. I was never able to find the source. Traded it in for a 2020 max. I have a full set of OEM manuals for the 2010 is anyone is interested.