Installed a remote trans filter on my 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zorobabel

Reaction score
Expedition is still on jack stands, filter and hoses are not pressurized yet (not tested), still have to drop the pan. Most likely I'll install a drain plug on pan, I'll use epoxy and not the plastic washers these plugs come with.
Back to the filter, I mounted it hanging on the radiator support with sheetmetal screws (didn't have the patience to drill a big hole to insert 3 carriage bolts, nevermind making those holes square).
I used 1/2" transmission hose from Napa.
Again I didn't feel like learning how to make good double flares so I just cut the hose before the (failure point) quick connect and used a brass hose mender. As you can see I removed the whole quick connect and metal line inlet side.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 9

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice. Maybe stick a magnet along the exterior bottom of the filter to catch & hold metal particles ?
One of those magnetic ad cards you get with every Rock Auto order would work great.
I just used an inline Magnefine filter since it's made for tranny fluid and filters down to 3 microns with a built in magnet ( Fram XG8 is 20 mic ).
But anything helps. Are you using a deep pan ? Those from PML come with a drain plug built in.

Magnefine Trans Filters

PML Deep Alum Trans Pan

new_magnefine_3_8_s.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zorobabel

Reaction score
I've had magnets rust in the past, and if they fall off - there goes a pile of metal particles (maybe even magnetized) back into the stream.
I'll add 1-2 hard drive magnets into the pan though.
Another option I've pondered on would be to drill a hole (not all the way through) on the inside of the filter mount (corresponding to the outside boss) and epoxy a tubular neodimium magnet in there (I've done this for drain plugs in the past).

OP
OP
Z

zorobabel

Reaction score
Not using a deep pan, $400 is kinda rich since I don't have any towing ambitions right now.
I seem to remember the Magnefine filtered in the 30 micron range, but the magnet is what made the difference catching far more ferous material than the filtering media.