Installing trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasgary

Reaction score
2012 Expy XLT. Need to install trailer brake controller. I have the 4 way at the back but want a 6 or 7 way. I see a bundle marked brake at the back and it is not connected. Does this imply that I can mount a plug and play unit at the front? Appears I can't use the Ford OEM as my dash isn't properly designed to accommodate the unit. I would really prefer to install this myself. If I do, is it really necessary to have the computer flashed?

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm semi-curious about this myself. I very rarely pull anything but I know that there is a trailer brake harness in the dash of my 07. Never checked at the rear of the vehicle but would assume there to be one as well.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I now have a 2012 as well and have considered installing the factory unit that fits at the bottom of AC controls just above the console. Why can't you use the factory unit? On line it looks like the OEM and aftermarket unit are near the same in price. For compatibility issues alone I would strongly consider the OEM over aftermarket unless there was a major reason. I have a friend that has a 8000lb camper that wants me to use it so let me know what you decide and the details.

gears351

Reaction score
On my 07 it's got the tow package but didn't come with an in-dash controller, after looking around for a nice place to mount it I realized that since I only use it once or twice a year I'd just plug in the pigtail harness and let it set in the little tray ahead of the shifter on the consol. Worked great, now it's unplugged and stored in the back storage compartment waiting for our next vacation.

OP
OP
T

texasgary

Reaction score
Follow up question

Are you talking about the panel below the cigarette lighter? On one product I saw it said it replaced the coin holder. In my case that sucker is only about the size of a quarter. If below the cigarette lighter does it fill the opening?

Thanks

OP
OP
T

texasgary

Reaction score
I looked up the window sticker for the VIN. Says it has a class 4 trailer towing package. Seems odd that it only has a 4 way plug at the rear or is that the norm?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The connector is under the dash on the drivers side. Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 will plug right in with the proper connector available with the controller.

2528400160046203164IMwlVd_fs.jpg

You'll need the Ford (or Etrailer) kit at the back of the truck if you don't have HD tow which includes the round Bargman connector.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The connector is under the dash on the drivers side. Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 will plug right in with the proper connector available with the controller.

You'll need the Ford (or Etrailer) kit at the back of the truck if you don't have HD tow which includes the round Bargman connector.

-- Chuck

Yep... that looks like the plug I've got under my dash. Have the remote start wired into that harness for parking light illumination and brake shut down.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bottom part next to the console is a sconce or filler piece were the controller goes. I too have the HD Class 4 hitch with the round and the oval connectors factory installed. The 4x4 models had the controller installed at the factory for some reason the 2wd did not get it even with the upgraded towing package. I went too look at one on the dealers lot and it looks like a simple installation for the upgrade. I will do some research on the part number and then find a discount parts dealer for Ford. Ebay has several around the country that will sell oem parts heavily discounted. For example I needed a new turbo part for my diesel truck for $525.00 at my local Ford dealer and bought it on ebay from a Midwest Ford dealer for $199.00 plus $25.00 shipping and no tax.