Instrument cluster swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

My odometer stopped working on my 97 4.6L Eddie Bauer expy. I attempted to fix the worm gear inside the cluster using an online tutorial. However, now that I put it back together none of the gauges are working and several of the illumination lights are out. I checked all the fuses I thought might affect it. The compass display is also just flashing “CS”

Most of the cluster warning lights (battery, high beams, air bags) are working but the oil/coolant light is not.

I am considering going to a junk yard and trying to swap out the cluster. Is it as simple as just plugging the new one in?

Also, why do I do about the difference in mileage reading?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not 100% certain on first-gen Expeditions, but on F150's of the same era, there is some PATS or anti-theft connection or correlation to the gauge cluster. I recall on 97-03 F150 forums owners swapping clusters, finding out there was an issue, then reinstalling their old cluster only to find out the vehicle still wouldn't start. Fix was a tow to the dealer for programming. Then there are others who swapped clusters with no issue. I'd suggest doing more research before proceeding.

The DMV in most states exempt mileage on vehicles over 10 or so years old. So if the odo reads 12,000 or 512,000 it makes no difference.

"CS" on the compass means calibrate settings. Its when you press the small reset/learn button on the compass black box and drive slowly in large circles until the truck figures out where it is. On most Fords of the era, that black box is mounted to the rear view mirror stem.

OP
OP
K

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So in case anyone wants to know I was successful in swapping the cluster with another 97 from the junkyard.

From what I understand the instrument cluster was not part of the pats system until either the 1998 or 1999 year. Either way, I think I got lucky this time!
Also, the compass has fixed itself as well. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk