interchanging 98 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a transfer case for my 99. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the transfer case from a 99-02 to a 97-98 to get the actual 2wd setting?

Would it require much other than the 4 position switch and the transfer case?

Assuming it would work, would there be any obvious downsides, like weaker transfer case or whatever else?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a transfer case for my 99. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the transfer case from a 99-02 to a 97-98 to get the actual 2wd setting?

Would it require much other than the 4 position switch and the transfer case?

Assuming it would work, would there be any obvious downsides, like weaker transfer case or whatever else?

I am just speculating here but my guess is they are the same. The 97-98 had a center axle disconnect. Later 1st generations did not nor did they have IWE's. So its my opinion they dropped the 2wd selection because there is no logical reason to have 2wd setting considering there is no fuel mileage to be gained. Ford simply did not consider that some owners may want to lock in 2wd for whatever reason.

With out seeing the schematic of the 97-98 expys don't really know here but would guess the main difference other than the center axle disconnect is the selector switch and possibly the gem module which actually controls the A4wd.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817