Interesting idling when weather is >65 degrees/interchangeable ECU's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
idle on these engines should be 600RPM.
with these older engines buying these stupid little tuners are a waste of time and money especially when the 5.4 and 4.6l aren't that great at producing power or torque by todays standards.
if you want more power you'll just have to do a small head port job a little bigger cam grind not the duration just extra lift and headers also a bigger throttle body.
I've seen so many bad motors because of tuners. piss poor timing valves kiss the pistons etc etc. its a waste.
there is no need to change ECUs if a tuner is giving you issues because of wires then you need not use it. tuners don't give much for these older motors.

OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
idle on these engines should be 600RPM.
with these older engines buying these stupid little tuners are a waste of time and money especially when the 5.4 and 4.6l aren't that great at producing power or torque by todays standards.
if you want more power you'll just have to do a small head port job a little bigger cam grind not the duration just extra lift and headers also a bigger throttle body.
I've seen so many bad motors because of tuners. piss poor timing valves kiss the pistons etc etc. its a waste.
there is no need to change ECUs if a tuner is giving you issues because of wires then you need not use it. tuners don't give much for these older motors.

I was going to actually start doing fast parts sometime next year so I thought a tuner would be a wise decision when it came to tuning, maybe I was wrong. Guess I'll have to buy some good old real gauges when I get into the turbo project.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to actually start doing fast parts sometime next year so I thought a tuner would be a wise decision when it came to tuning, maybe I was wrong. Guess I'll have to buy some good old real gauges when I get into the turbo project.

yeah stay away from a tuner unless your vehicle is a few years old a tuner isn't going to help with power out put.
if you're going turbo or supercharger in the future you have to a full rebuild.
factory crank is fine and can handle 800HP.
you're going to have to buy forged rods and pistons.
ported heads will make forced induction that much better especially when factory NPI or PI heads are very restrictive if you have a NPI motor I suggest you buy a set of PI heads they are dirt cheap.
if you won't to invest in new cams but don't change the intake and exhaust duration just the lift.
the computer will need to be tuned by a performance tuner to make up for the extra air fuel ratios and such also you'll need bigger injectors this is something you need to talk to a ford EFI performance guy about.
your trans will have to be rebuilt.
if you don't plan on F/I all you need to do is upgrade your H/C/I and shorty headers, TB
basic bolt ons are cheap for these motors.

OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
yeah stay away from a tuner unless your vehicle is a few years old a tuner isn't going to help with power out put.
if you're going turbo or supercharger in the future you have to a full rebuild.
factory crank is fine and can handle 800HP.
you're going to have to buy forged rods and pistons.
ported heads will make forced induction that much better especially when factory NPI or PI heads are very restrictive if you have a NPI motor I suggest you buy a set of PI heads they are dirt cheap.
if you won't to invest in new cams but don't change the intake and exhaust duration just the lift.
the computer will need to be tuned by a performance tuner to make up for the extra air fuel ratios and such also you'll need bigger injectors this is something you need to talk to a ford EFI performance guy about.
your trans will have to be rebuilt.
if you don't plan on F/I all you need to do is upgrade your H/C/I and shorty headers, TB
basic bolt ons are cheap for these motors.

I believe I have the PI's because it's a 2000, I'm definitely going to get cams, definitely going to go talk to Panhandle Performance about the tuning, I'm going to ZF-6 swap it. What is this I hear about a bigger throttle body?

Last edited:

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe I have the PI's because it's a 2000, I'm definitely going to get cams, definitely going to go talk to Panhandle Performance about the tuning, I'm going to ZF-6 swap it. What is this I hear about a bigger throttle body?

bigger throttle body = more air and if you want cams and or forced inductions you're going to need a bigger one.
good luck with that trans swap.
not all 2000s had PI heads.