Interesting take on auto industry woes/falling new sales

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And while I'm still irked that you had the gall to even approach me with numbers or facts about Turbo Regals after I brought up the subject.... riddle me this-
Even and bone stock Factory showroom forum, how does the 450 horsepower expedition or Navi get beat by around 8 tenths in the 1/4 when...
" Regal had almost 1/2 the horsepower, less torque and is slower than a Navigator."
Your words.

Did you mean slower than a navigator if it were traveling at 30 and the Navigator were traveling at 60? Because that would be a non disputable fact.
Most everything else was just inaccurate assumptions.

If you’re talking GN the Navi is MUCH faster. If you’re talking stock GNX they are essentially the same 0-60.

Being wrong really gets to you.

Interesting.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have just asked two or three times for people to give me their input and explain what features they really really like and why they like them so much or enjoy them

And when people answer "I enjoy features XYZ". Do you say "Oh cool. Maybe someday I'll have a car with those features!"

Nope. You panic and post over and over again about how those are really bad features that MANY PEOPLE have had problems with and nobody wants them especially you.

Honestly lol

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you’re talking GN the Navi is MUCH faster. If you’re talking stock GNX they are essentially the same 0-60.

Interesting.
Once again you are incorrect. Where are you looking up your so-called facts or information?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Interesting.
Once again you are incorrect. Where are you looking up your so-called facts or information?

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Easily available anywhere. Here’s road and track and car and driver.

Now. Tell me more about how awful using my phone as a key is LOL!
9584bc7e3891f6b39e06d3e93413e06a.jpg

1ce56c77352e4ec3f04dc090800866f9.jpg

I look forward to more unhinged ranting about how a car from 3+ decades ago is just about as fast as a giant SUV today.

Soooooooo relevant lol

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So going along this crazy line but I never said anything about the GNX. How much faster do you think a GNX is than a standard GN or a turbo Regal T-Type for that matter? Are you aware that all 86 and 87 T-Type Regals with the turbo 3/8 are just as fast as a Grand National?? Many people do not know this. Again, how much faster do you think a GNX is then a Grand National in bone stock Form? Now my second question... What is the quarter mile time of this Navigator you keep referring to? Because I wanted to make sure I was being accurate here so I looked up the quarter mile time of a 2019 Expedition and a 2019 Navigator. The Navigator is slower which is expected because it's a heavier vehicle.

Also, as I said because I don't expect you to have a great deal of knowledge about the intricacies of the Buick turbocharged engines... Let's note that the 84-85 Grand National cars are called hot air cars and are a full second 1/2 slower then 86-87 cars. Maybe this is where you're getting your numbers. 84 and 85 ran in the 15s which are pretty much for The Navigators run and a little slower than the expedition.

Let me further explain so we can get this right. I'm not going to allow you to quote and actually about turbo Regals!
It is my thing. It is my wheelhouse.

We must note that due to being turbocharged cars and being lower quality control in the late 80s that speeds buried a little more than they do today but, if you take 10 brand new 3.5 Expeditions and run them 50 times at the drag strip you also get more variations and those cars then you would if you ran brand new Challengers or Mustangs. It's just how turbocharged cars work.

If you did a quick Google search you might see them saying Grand Nationals ran 15.2 to 15.9 but that's only 84 and 85 hot air cars. It is common knowledge that the 86 and 87 cars ran 14.0 to 14.2 but occasionally you will see a spec of 13.7 to 13.9 because there were a few that down into the High 13s.

Let me clarify what hot are meant so you won't have to look that up. The hot are cars blue hot air into the plenum and the 86 added an air-to-air intercooler with a plastic fan spinning off the harmonic balancer to cool the intercooler which is mounted right in front of the balancer plus it had a scoop and a shroud assembly that funneled air from underneath the middle of the car below the bumper into the intercooler.

So again oh, what are the quarter mile times of a 3.5 stock Expedition or Navigator? Some people generally refer to 14 seconds but Motor Trend shows a 14.8 for an expedition and the first thing I pulled up for a navigator shows 15.5 or something.

14.0 to 14.2 is quicker than 14.8 and 15.x and in a quarter mile race that's a good three car lengths.

I normally never actually use the words you're wrong to a person on the forums.... but in your case since you do it all the time I will certainly make an exception!

The sad part is you think you know everything about any topic that comes up.

You can be the authority on buttery soft leather massaging seats because I'm the authority here on turbocharged Buicks.

You may not enjoy or have any need for a 30 + year old grandpa's car the same way I have no need for a massager in my auto seat
But I won't try to tell you how those seats work because I have little to no experience with them ...
And you won't tell me a thing about Buick Grand Nationals, T-types, or GNXs that I don't already know.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So going along this crazy line but I never said anything about the GNX. How much faster do you think a GNX is than a standard GN or a turbo Regal T-Type for that matter? Are you aware that all 86 and 87 T-Type Regals with the turbo 3/8 are just as fast as a Grand National?? Many people do not know this. Again, how much faster do you think a GNX is then a Grand National in bone stock Form? Now my second question... What is the quarter mile time of this Navigator you keep referring to? Because I wanted to make sure I was being accurate here so I looked up the quarter mile time of a 2019 Expedition and a 2019 Navigator. The Navigator is slower which is expected because it's a heavier vehicle.

Also, as I said because I don't expect you to have a great deal of knowledge about the intricacies of the Buick turbocharged engines... Let's note that the 84-85 Grand National cars are called hot air cars and are a full second 1/2 slower then 86-87 cars. Maybe this is where you're getting your numbers. 84 and 85 ran in the 15s which are pretty much for The Navigators run and a little slower than the expedition.

Let me further explain so we can get this right. I'm not going to allow you to quote and actually about turbo Regals!
It is my thing. It is my wheelhouse.

We must note that due to being turbocharged cars and being lower quality control in the late 80s that speeds buried a little more than they do today but, if you take 10 brand new 3.5 Expeditions and run them 50 times at the drag strip you also get more variations and those cars then you would if you ran brand new Challengers or Mustangs. It's just how turbocharged cars work.

If you did a quick Google search you might see them saying Grand Nationals ran 15.2 to 15.9 but that's only 84 and 85 hot air cars. It is common knowledge that the 86 and 87 cars ran 14.0 to 14.2 but occasionally you will see a spec of 13.7 to 13.9 because there were a few that down into the High 13s.

Let me clarify what hot are meant so you won't have to look that up. The hot are cars blue hot air into the plenum and the 86 added an air-to-air intercooler with a plastic fan spinning off the harmonic balancer to cool the intercooler which is mounted right in front of the balancer plus it had a scoop and a shroud assembly that funneled air from underneath the middle of the car below the bumper into the intercooler.

So again oh, what are the quarter mile times of a 3.5 stock Expedition or Navigator? Some people generally refer to 14 seconds but Motor Trend shows a 14.8 for an expedition and the first thing I pulled up for a navigator shows 15.5 or something.

14.0 to 14.2 is quicker than 14.8 and 15.x and in a quarter mile race that's a good three car lengths.

I normally never actually use the words you're wrong to a person on the forums.... but in your case since you do it all the time I will certainly make an exception!

The sad part is you think you know everything about any topic that comes up.

You can be the authority on buttery soft leather massaging seats because I'm the authority here on turbocharged Buicks.

You may not enjoy or have any need for a 30 + year old grandpa's car the same way I have no need for a massager in my auto seat
But I won't try to tell you how those seats work because I have little to no experience with them ...
And you won't tell me a thing about Buick Grand Nationals, T-types, or GNXs that I don't already know.

Agreed. A stock GN will get whooped by a stock Navigator in 0-60 and depending on altitude and weather the QM is a toss up. Who cares. We’re comparing a grocery getter SUV to the equivalent of a Dodge Demon.

How sad is it that the hottest domestic production car from then can barely keep up with a giant SUV of today?

It would be fun to put a GN up against a stock Demon or a 2020 Navi against a 1986 Suburban to watch both of the oldies get toasted lol! At least that would be relevant....

Now. Tell us more about how phone as a key is the end of humanity please.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no need for a massager in my auto seat

Yet you’ve droned on for post after excruciating post outlining just how much you don’t want or need them...

Even though you’ve never had them.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. A stock GN will get whooped by a stock Navigator in 0-60 and depending on altitude and weather the QM is a toss up. Who cares. We’re comparing a grocery getter SUV to the equivalent of a Dodge Demon.

How sad is it that the hottest domestic production car from then can barely keep up with a giant SUV of today?

It would be fun to put a GN up against a stock Demon or a 2020 Navi against a 1986 Suburban to watch both of the oldies get toasted lol! At least that would be relevant....

Now. Tell us more about how phone as a key is the end of humanity please.
I never once mentioned using your phone as a fax finder. I think I'm in it mentioned a quick internet search. Never said that was a bad way to do it but what I will mention once again is that the sources are often not consistent in their numbers.
Stock GNs didn't run 15.9 second quarters they didn't even run 15s.
At least not the Grand Nationals people mean when they refer to Grand Nationals.
Pretty much everyone who mentions a turbo Buick or a turbo 3.8 means the intercooled version which are the last two years and not the first two. To be precise they did make some other turbos earlier on but once again nobody considers those.
None of the intercooled turbo Buick ran 15 second quarters.
Any website oh, source, or screenshot that says they do is incorrect.
It is common knowledge among car aficionados and in the Buick world that they ran 14.0 to 14.2 with some outliers occasionally cracking into the 13s and some running as low as 14.5

The GNX was a full second faster which wasn't really that impressive to me.
They should have pulled out more stops and made it faster than just one second faster.
Those are known to run 13.0 to 13.2 but you will find stats that show them running 12.9.

I have only been talking about quarter mile ETs and not 0 to 60 and not 1/8s. 1/8 mile was unheard of when I started drag racing and then all the tuners went into that. Never did like it.

Quarter mile or zero to a hundred is what I have always enjoyed.

I only found one reference that showed an expedition running a 14 second quarter but it didn't say it was 14.08 just said it does the quarter mile in 14 seconds. That could be 14.1 or 14.9.
I did find a good number of other references that showed 14.8 and a little over 15 for the Navigator.

I don't feel the need to screenshot everything and post it like you do because you're always doing that in your face haha I'm right thing.
If I post something on this forum it is true.
If I say something it is true.
Often things I say are my preferences so those are also true statements.

If I don't know for certain, I will certainly say I don't know or I think or when I don't even have a clue as to the range I will say I will have to look it up.
I certainly don't know everything, but the things I do know ...I know for a fact and I'm not going to put up with your argumentative ******** about turbo Regals that I know like the back of my hand.

So you can just go sit your ass down in your comfortable massage chair because there is no winning and there is no out doing me on turbo Buick 3.8s.

We could have a little test on Grand National and GNX history and facts... Whie you could look them all up on your phone and find the answers in 8 to 10 seconds each. I already know them.
I've known them for 30 years.

You made the comparison of old to new in a very demeaning and kind of sarcastic way by calling it sad but another way to look at it is look how far we've come... when a huge overweight luxury SUV is just almost as fast as the fastest American-made production car in 1987.

Even then we were lucky to have cars that fast in 87! I used to collect and maintain the old muscle cars because after 70 4 horsepower is pretty much gone. Cars became big Landyachtz and they neuter the horsepower ratings and nothing was fast anymore.

They kept styling cool and the Mustang GT's were peppy and the IROC Z28 Camaros were cool styling but none of them had any balls and they were not fast.

Back in the mid eighties we thought for sure that muscle cars and horsepower was dead.

When the 93 Z28 came out with the LT1 I said in a few years when the warranty is out this will be the car to have and modify.

Then they did it one better with the LS1 engine being even stronger, more powerful, durable, and less problematic.

These did get a good following of aftermarket tinkerers but they didn't have to become the car to have because horsepower came back large-and-in-charge.!

I will admit but I never thought I would see it happen again in my lifetime.

After the oil embargo and the gas crisis and horsepower being reduced... I never thought for one second that we would ever have production cars faster than 64 GTOs, Yenko Camaros, LS6 454s, Hemi cudas and road runners.

I would have bet any amount of money on it. And I would have been wrong!

I am so glad it happened though.
Now we have cars that are far more convenient to jump in and drive that are faster, easier to electronically tune to get a good deal of horsepower out of, and we have them building supercars like the Dodge Viper, C6 and above Corvette, Hellcat and Demon to name a few.

I have certainly said many times though for every one person that goes out and buys a Demon or Hellcat, there are 3 to 10 old Mopars out there that can pull the front wheels off the ground or do a complete wheel stand or that runs in the nines or faster.

Performance cars are awesome! I don't get very motivated over giant SUVs that are fast or even crazy ********* smoke bellowing diesels that run 10 second quarter miles or faster. Plenty of people do. Those diesel truck guys are into their Hobby.
I've seen Volkswagen Beetles doing straight-up wheelies and running 8 to 9.

Does that make a Volkswagen Beetle performance car when it runs Under 12 second quarter mile?? I guess it would but not to everyone.
To each their own, right?

Now stop being rude about the seat!

I don't need to have a massaging seat in my car to know if I would want one in my car or not. I have sat in a car seat and driven a car and I have sat in a massaging chair and have a massage.
It is very simple to mentally determine from those things.

I am certain that a massage in an auto chair would feel just as nice as a massage in any other chair in any other location I just don't choose to have my massages in a car chair.
To each their own.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new drinking game: take one shot for every two swipes down. If a new record has been hit down a double at the end.