iPad Mini indash 97 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

alaskanate

Reaction score
That looks super cool, id love to wrap most of my stuff but its so expensive, I noticed you used the same vinyl spray that I have around every panel in my truck, but then you wrapped those too haha. I live in Alaska so for the winter the heat vents are a little necessary...and I'm thinking of cutting the top of the bezel so I can keep the stock trim on the inside as to look as factory as possible and fit a mini in there to slide up and down through it. haven't gotten the mini yet so I'm still thinking of different ways.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have to agree KCC is awesome. i painted my plow truck there my senior year. learned alot.

make sure to get some pics when your all done with this project.

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks super cool, id love to wrap most of my stuff but its so expensive, I noticed you used the same vinyl spray that I have around every panel in my truck, but then you wrapped those too haha. I live in Alaska so for the winter the heat vents are a little necessary...and I'm thinking of cutting the top of the bezel so I can keep the stock trim on the inside as to look as factory as possible and fit a mini in there to slide up and down through it. haven't gotten the mini yet so I'm still thinking of different ways.

Good luck with it man, can't wait to see it. You're doing it exactly how I did, just kinda figuring it out as you go. Any questions feel free to ask

OP
OP
A

alaskanate

Reaction score
Well heres somewhat the finished product, Its not perfectly even but no one will notice unless you point it out....it bugs me hah. well I used a bedliner spray from my work and it worked way better than I thought it would be, I love the texture. needs another coat though because some of the bondo soaked a little bit of the color up. Now im waiting on an ipad mini to come into my hands soon, within the next week or so. Im seriously considering a slide down through the top of the dash cap. I'll just go with it and see what happens!
WP_20130810_008.jpg
WP_20130810_013.jpg

WP_20130810_004.jpg

OP
OP
A

alaskanate

Reaction score
Just got a slate black iPad mini, going to start thinking of attachment options now. Either using the magnet type or slide in, but idk if I can fit a plug to charge the iPad in the little space I have between the vents if I'm going landscape which is what I want, suggestions...?

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a charger because I take it out to use it all the time anyways. So unless its gonna be dedicated strictly for the truck then I wouldn't worry about a charger. Looks great though so far

OP
OP
A

alaskanate

Reaction score
So I taped up the iPad and fiberglassed around it, I'm going with the "float mount" direction. I will cut a bit of the dash on the sides and then fiberglass the piece in. Progress so far!

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

OP
OP
A

alaskanate

Reaction score
Finally have most of it done for now, I still want to sand down the outer edges of the panel to match the smoothie dashboard. This one piece took way to much sanding then it should've been and I'm still not done...lol here you guys go and btw that magnet holds it in there tight but you have to form a lip at the bottom or it will hang out at the bottom
image-4.jpg
image-7.jpg
image-5.jpg
image-6.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-10.jpg
image-13.jpg

image-12.jpg

OP
OP
A

alaskanate

Reaction score
And btw I had to fiberglass it in place to fill the gap on top and bottom as you see here
image-15.jpg

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pretty sure i saw you going down abbot on sunday around 4:15ish? noticed the rack and painted rear pillers. looked good!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65