iPhone 14 Call Quality through Bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's iphone has this problem but it isn't only in the expedition, it also does it in the house with her ear pods. I occasionally have the issue also but it seems to be less frequent than her. I have not been able to determine if the issue is bluetooth, or if it is a network issue (verizon). I think we have experienced the issue without bluetooth in the mix. So, I think it is either an iphone software issue, or a network issue. A little annoying for sure but typically a hang up and calling again solves it.

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

Reaction score
My wife's iphone has this problem but it isn't only in the expedition, it also does it in the house with her ear pods. I occasionally have the issue also but it seems to be less frequent than her. I have not been able to determine if the issue is bluetooth, or if it is a network issue (verizon). I think we have experienced the issue without bluetooth in the mix. So, I think it is either an iphone software issue, or a network issue. A little annoying for sure but typically a hang up and calling again solves it.
For me, it's just the Expedition. I use a bluetooth conection to play music through a portable speaker, a set of ear buds and a pair of noise cancelling headphones, and the connection to those items is flawless. :/

Dahammer

Reaction score
Questions:
1) Is your phone updated to the current operating software?
2) Where is your phone placed while driving and using it? Is it on top of the dashboard, in the coffee cup holder, or in the wireless charger?
3) Are you driving on rural roads or on the highway?
4) Are you using a VPN?
5) When was the last time you rebooted your phone?
6) How many bars (signal strength) do you see when this acts up?
7) Solar flares. Solar flares can and will disturb cellular calls and other electrical components. However, it would affect the world. So, scratch this off the list.
8) Does it always happen at the same spot?

There are too many variables as to why this could happen. Unless more info is obtained, IMHO, then it's the phone.

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

Reaction score
Questions:
1) Is your phone updated to the current operating software?

Yes. The latest IOS is installed as is the most current SYNC 4 software.

2) Where is your phone placed while driving and using it?
Is it on top of the dashboard, in the coffee cup holder, or in the wireless charger? 99% of the time

Both...the rural roads I don't even try to make calls, because the reception is so poor, (lack of cell towers), but even in town and on major highways, the problem shows itself.

4) Are you using a VPN?
No personal network.

Every morning.

Varies, but happens even when all the bars are showing.

Doesn't matter where I'm driving. In town, on the highway....I traveled from NY to NC and back to NY last weekend and it happened all the way up and down Route 81.

Dahammer

Reaction score
Yes. The latest IOS is installed as is the most current SYNC 4 software.

2) Where is your phone placed while driving and using it?
Is it on top of the dashboard, in the coffee cup holder, or in the wireless charger? 99% of the time

Both...the rural roads I don't even try to make calls, because the reception is so poor, (lack of cell towers), but even in town and on major highways, the problem shows itself.

4) Are you using a VPN?
No personal network.

Every morning.

Varies, but happens even when all the bars are showing.

Doesn't matter where I'm driving. In town, on the highway....I traveled from NY to NC and back to NY last weekend and it happened all the way up and down Route 81.
Hi,
Have you tried using the iPhone Apple charger cable that came with your phone and connected to your phone to the onboard USB port? Was it better being on a connected cable?

If it was better, then Ford Sync has to be updated. Plus, maybe a master reset is to be done by the mechanic at the dealership afterward, too.

IMHO-My vehicle had problems with CarPlay, Bluetooth, etc. I took it to the dealership, and they did four updates even tho it had been updated over the air. Plus, the mechanic has tried doing a reset on the Sync screen, but to no avail; the dealership mechanic had an accident in the shop with my vehicle to boot.

I took it to another dealership, and they did a master reset, and BOOM, it now works wirelessly (CarPlay) with very good call quality.

Also, as a piece of mind, you can call Apple tech support, they can check your phone while you are on the phone to see if anything is wrong while you are waiting. They can also check your settings with you on the phone.

Free is good when your iPhone is under warranty.

Thank you for your answers, too. It helps in trying to figure out what's wrong.

sdjacob72

Reaction score
My wife and I both have this issue with are Android phones. (Samsung Galaxy 23 Ultra and a Note 10 Plus). It seems to have started after the one of the latest updates to the vehicle. My phone also disconnects from wireless Android Auto all the time.

LGA129

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 14. Recently, I've noticed that when I call out or receive a call in my Expedition, the quality of the call is TERRIBLE. (static, the sound cuts in and out) It's bad enough, that I have to hang up and then call whoever back. The second call's quality is perfect. Has anyone else encountered this? At this point I don't know if it's the phone or the Expedition.
I purchased my 2023 Expedition in May 2023. Since January 2024, it has been back to the dealership on MULTIPLY occasions with the same phone issue you are referring to. It doesn't happen on every call but does happen on incoming as well as outgoing calls. I will hang up & call them right back with no issues. My husband & I both have iPhone, and it does this when either of our phones are connected to the car via Bluetooth. I have not even set up CarPlay, so I know that's not the problem. The dealership has reset the entire system and tried numerous fixes, according to them. I really thought they didn't believe me this was happening, but I was finally able to get a video of the problem. The last trip to the dealership in late March, they changed out the APEX Modular and said that was the problem. I wasn't home before it began with static again! I really think there is more to this than a quick fix. I'm very frustrated at this point!

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

Reaction score
I purchased my 2023 Expedition in May 2023. Since January 2024, it has been back to the dealership on MULTIPLY occasions with the same phone issue you are referring to. It doesn't happen on every call but does happen on incoming as well as outgoing calls. I will hang up & call them right back with no issues. My husband & I both have iPhone, and it does this when either of our phones are connected to the car via Bluetooth. I have not even set up CarPlay, so I know that's not the problem. The dealership has reset the entire system and tried numerous fixes, according to them. I really thought they didn't believe me this was happening, but I was finally able to get a video of the problem. The last trip to the dealership in late March, they changed out the APEX Modular and said that was the problem. I wasn't home before it began with static again! I really think there is more to this than a quick fix. I'm very frustrated at this point!
I get it. I'm still having the issue, too. I actually just had mine in for service and it never crossed my mind to bring it to their attention. I'm not happy that you're having the issue, but I'm glad someone else can confirm what I have happening. What model iPhones do you have?

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

Reaction score
UPDATE: So, I spoke with my dealer about the issue. He gave me different items to troubleshoot. First, he told me to hook my phone up to a portable speaker and try a call through it to see if I have the same static through the speaker. The speaker sounded great. He then suggested to make a phone call or two with my phone's Wi-Fi turned off. I tried that, and the calls were crystal clear. Incoming and outgoing. I then turned my Wi-Fi back on, and my calls have sounded great ever since. We'll see if it continues to work, or not. If it reverts back, I'll turn the Wi-Fi off again and see what happens.